Biophilia

Forum discussing the relationships between art and science.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#1)  Biophilia

Postby Bosque » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:20 pm

Here are some quotes that remind me of one of Ed Franks' favorite quotes:

"Humanity is exalted not because we are so far above other living creatures, but because knowing them well elevates the very concept of life."  Biophilia, 1984, p. 22.

"I have argued in this book that we are human in good part because of the particular way we affiliate with other organisms. They are the matrix in which the human mind originated and is permanently rooted, and they offer the challenge and freedom innately sought. To the extent that each person can feel like a naturalist, the old excitement of the untrammeled world will be regained. I offer this as a formula of reenchantment to invigorate poetry and myth: mysterious and little known organisms live within walking distance of where you sit. Splendor awaits in minute proportions."  Biophilia, 1984, p. 121.

"To arouse biophilia, science is not enough. Money, for all its power, is not enough. Culture--literature, drama, music, painting, filmmaking, the humble activity of learning itself--may be the way to engage the heart." From Edward C. Wolf's essay "Arousing Biophilia" which appeared in Orion magazine Summer, 1989. A colloquium based on this essay was held in March of 1990 at Williams College.
http://arts.envirolink.org/interviews_a ... ilson.html

Carol Diamond

For this message the author Bosque has received Likes :
edfrank
Bosque

Has Liked: 131 times
Has Been Liked: 29 times
Print view this post

Return to Art and Science