Tree climbing photo panorama

Discussions of tree climbing, climbing techniques, and canopy explorations.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

pdbrandt

Tree climbing photo panorama

Post by pdbrandt » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:34 pm

I've been experimenting with the free Photosynth iPad/iPhone app which allows you to create a real time, interactive, 360 degree panoramic picture. Until yesterday all my panoramas where from the ground looking up at tall trees (see for example this post http://www.ents-bbs.org/viewtopic.php?f ... 023#p21916). Yesterday I climbed 65 feet up a 107 foot tall, 10', 7" circumference American Sycamore and took a true 360 degree panorama - up down and all around in the canopy. It's hard to get all the branches and trunk segments to line up exactly since each panorama, or synth as Microsoft calls them, is composed of 18-22 pictures. This is especially true for the limbs and trunk segments closest to you. My next attempt will be to create a synth hanging from a point closer to the edge of the canopy.

You can see my best of about 5 synths here: http://photosynth.net/view/1ccd0f92-661 ... 3e8d1315c1. Hopefully you'll feel transported into the tree as you pan around. It just occurred to me that I could take an audio recording of the rushing Eno River, the wind in the trees and the singing birds and post that with my next synth to finalize the effect.
Patrick

AndrewJoslin

Re: Tree climbing photo panorama

Post by AndrewJoslin » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:46 pm

That's great Patrick!
-AJ

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:07 pm

Patrick,

Totally cool! It opens up a whole new way to experience a forest from the comfort of one's living room.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Matt Markworth

Post by Matt Markworth » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:23 pm

Patrick,

That is a wonderful idea. It transports me there much better than a photo, and gives the freedom to explore unlike a video.

I know what you mean on the difficulty of getting the photos to line up perfectly. I tried to do a 360 degree of some massive Sweetgums in front of a building and ended up with some nice abstract art :)

- Matt

Return to “Tree Climbing”