SINE method training for tree climbers

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

eliahd24

Re: SINE method training for tree climbers

Post by eliahd24 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:51 pm

Thanks for the kudos guys. It was a lot of fun to nerd out on trees for a couple of hours. This was a diverse audience, yet they all seemed very receptive and genuinely interested. I hope they can take inspiration from my enthusiasm. Even if they don't become active (data-collecting) NTS members right away, rest assured that we are on their radar and they know that we can be a ready and waiting resource for them.

pattyjenkins1

Post by pattyjenkins1 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:52 am

What a shame that we didn't think to film Eli's presentation. Does anybody have -- or could someone create -- a "How to Measure Trees from the Ground" video or article that I could put up on the TCI website? I can add a brief description of the NTS with a call to contribute to NTS work. This would be a great way to open up TCI's turn to "Citizen Science" on our site. Other ideas?

Certainly when we begin to publicize the 2013 Annual Tree Climbers Gathering, we will excite many climbers with the possibility of listening to and learning from the likes of Bob, Will, and other NTSers.
Patty Jenkins
Executive Director
Tree Climbers International, Inc.
Get High / Climb Trees

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:58 pm

Patti,

Have you looked at the ENTS tree-measuring guidelines developed by Will? If they don't work, we have the video that Ed shot of my presentation at Cook Forest. We could edit it down to a basic guide. I would totally trust Ed to do that. And if neither of those two approaches fit the bill, we can produce something tailored to your needs.

Much of the material I generate focuses attention on the differences between different measuring techniques, and which ones work and where. With the tree climbers, most of that material would not be necessary. What you all need is a straightforward guide to tree measuring with simple rules on where not to use a particular technique. Fitting the right model to the tree is always the operative requirement.

On July 12th, the LTI people will be coming over from Denver to measure some champion trees with me. LTI has expressed interest in helping Ed Ritz and I produce a pocket-sized field guide to tree measuring. It is a doable project. We already have an illustrator and editor lined up. So, this is a go. Ed Frank has agreed to help, so we have a solid team. I imagine the project will require a year. So, in terms of that range of time, something will be available.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Return to “Tree Climbing and Recreational Activities Group”