'Weed Warriors' turn vines into vine art

Discussions of trees that have a form other than a single trunk and of woody vines.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#1)  'Weed Warriors' turn vines into vine art

Postby edfrank » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:25 pm

'Weed Warriors' turn vines into vine art

weedwarriors.JPG

weedwarriors.JPG (48.58 KiB) Viewed 800 times

Bethesda couple Seth Goldstein and Paula Stone started building sculptures out of the invasive Oriental Bittersweet vine in 2008. The sculptures have been exhibited at Brookside Gardens and the Nature Conservancy headquarters. (Alexandra Garcia/The Washington Post)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/video/2010/06/11/VI2010061102442.html
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

For this message the author edfrank has received Likes :
eliahd24
edfrank
Site Admin

{ IMAGES }: 0
Has Liked: 915 times
Has Been Liked: 706 times
Blog: View Blog (3)
Print view this post

#2)  Re: 'Weed Warriors' turn vines into vine art

Postby PAwildernessadvocate » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:56 am

I spent a lot of time trying to eliminate Asian bittersweet vine working in Rock Creek National Park in Washington, D.C. summer 1999. Not to mention Asian porcelain berry vine, ailanthus trees, bamboo, multi-flora rose, some kudzu, and lots of others.
"There is no better way to save biodiversity than by preserving habitat, and no better habitat, species for species, than wilderness." --Edward O. Wilson
PAwildernessadvocate

Has Liked: 166 times
Has Been Liked: 72 times
Print view this post

Return to Multitrunk Trees, Woody Vines, and Other Forms