Wood burns

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Devin

Wood burns

Post by Devin » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:50 pm

Hello ents,
Attached are some recent wood burnings of mine. I hope everyone can appreciate them here as most of them have to do with trees.
Attachments
eastern white pine on juniper
eastern white pine on juniper
dogwood flowers on basswood
dogwood flowers on basswood
Magnolia flower on juniper
Magnolia flower on juniper
Chanterelle mushrooms on basswood box
Chanterelle mushrooms on basswood box
Monterey cypress on Ganoderma applanatum conk
Monterey cypress on Ganoderma applanatum conk
Hericium erinaceus (lions mane) on basswood
Hericium erinaceus (lions mane) on basswood

Erik Danielsen

Re: Wood burns

Post by Erik Danielsen » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:56 pm

These are beautiful! I mess around a bit with a $20 quasi-soldering-iron woodburning tool but nothing like this! What's your process of going from an initial image idea to a finished piece?

Devin

Post by Devin » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:43 pm

Thanks Erik, I first sand down the wood really fine and then I sketch the object with pencil. Afterwards I burn an outline and then shade it in. I use to use one of those pens you mentioned so I feel your pain. If your interested in investing, nibsburner (nibsburner.com) makes models around 100 bucks with different specialized tips. These are great and allow you to vary the temperature so you are allowed to do shading etc. If you have any pics of your work that you would like to share I would love to see your style.

Erik Danielsen

Post by Erik Danielsen » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:04 am

Devin, I'd like to get one of those someday. Most of what I've made has been small decorative items that I've sold on etsy, some pendants and bookends and whatnot. I like to make designs derived from elements that pop out at me from my favorite natural spaces and draw inspiration from the aesthetics of Walter Anderson and Charles Burchfield (both painters who also made more simplified designs for functional items). Here are a few pieces-
Attachments
Inlaid blue chevron feathers from the wings of ducks from a farm I was working on.
Inlaid blue chevron feathers from the wings of ducks from a farm I was working on.
A piece on a bookend.
A piece on a bookend.
Another pendant.
Another pendant.

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:54 pm

Devin and Erik,

I'm dazzled. Kudos to you both for such artistic wood burning renderings. I love them.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Devin

Post by Devin » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:36 pm

Erik,
Very nice burnings man. I really love that pendant. Even the multiple holes you put to thread the twine through. You can tell you have put a lot of thought into these pieces. I came across this artist the other day, you might be interested, http://www.minisapyrography.com/, she is RIDICULOUS.

Return to “Art: Mixed Media. Other Forms, and Unclassified”