Pinus monophylla wood burn

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Devin

Pinus monophylla wood burn

Post by Devin » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:36 pm

Thought someone might enjoy my latest wood burn. Its a single-leaf pinyon pine (Pinus monophylla) that I picked up while I was traveling through the Great Basin in Nevada. The wood its burned on is western juniper (Juniperus occidentalis).
Attachments
DSC04357.JPG

dbhguru

Re: Pinus monophylla wood burn

Post by dbhguru » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:11 pm

Devin,

That is really, really artistic! Can you give us a brief overview of the process? I know absolutely nothing about it.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Will Blozan

Post by Will Blozan » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:21 am

I bet that smelled SOOOO good!

Very nice work- thanks for sharing.

Joe

Post by Joe » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:26 am

forgive my ignorance, but I don't understand what this process is about- what's meant by a "wood burn"?

I presume it has to do with putting that design on a block of wood- but what's the "burn" part of this process?
Joe

Devin

Post by Devin » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:53 am

Thanks for the complements. Wood burning is a technique where one has a "pen" that burns really hot and where you can use it like a pencil, but instead of graphite or ink, it actually burns into the wood itself. It was really big in the 70's maaaaaaan. Some of the best wood to use is basswood and diffuse-porous species in general, as ring-porous trees and most conifers dont burn as well. I first start by cutting and sanding the piece of wood to the desired shape. Then I simply sketch the object on the wood with a pencil. Once my sketch is complete I burn over it using a special wood burning pen. This is super tedious, because once you have goofed, you cant erase it! Afterwards I usually shellac it or protect it with a finish. Thanks for all the comments, I hope everyone enjoyed it.
Devin

Return to “Art: Mixed Media. Other Forms, and Unclassified”