Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Rand

Calvin & Hobbes on environmental abuse

Post by Rand » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:08 pm

Calvin-Hobbes - Burn up the world.jpg

jamesrobertsmith

Re: Calvin & Hobbes on environmental abuse

Post by jamesrobertsmith » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:37 pm

What's sad about this is that the human race is headed for extinction pedal-to-the-metal. And few of us realize that we're doing it. Fuck us all for the fools we are.

Joe

Post by Joe » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:55 pm

jamesrobertsmith wrote:What's sad about this is that the human race is headed for extinction pedal-to-the-metal. And few of us realize that we're doing it. Fuck us all for the fools we are.
well, more people should pay attention to "radical" politicians like Bernie Sanders of Vermont- watch the video of the interview by Bill Moyers: http://billmoyers.com/segment/bernie-sa ... -politics/

the interview isn't much about the environment, but about fixing the broken politics of America, as it's now dominated by the ultra rich- Sanders says we're moving to an oligarchy and such folks don't care much for the environment

Joe

Rand

Post by Rand » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:00 pm

Joe wrote: Sanders says we're moving to an oligarchy and such folks don't care much for the environment

Joe
I don't think they care about much beyond their money & power (They become rather synonymous at that level...) It's kinda sad what we as a democratic society have let happen.

<Sad sigh>

Hey, are the fall TV premiers on yet? <clicky-clicky-clicky...>

PAwildernessadvocate

Post by PAwildernessadvocate » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:15 pm

jamesrobertsmith wrote:What's sad about this is that the human race is headed for extinction pedal-to-the-metal. And few of us realize that we're doing it. Fuck us all for the fools we are.
In my measured opinion Homo sapiens are not necessarily racing toward extinction, but rather racing toward a pronounced "bottleneck" event. There will be survivors, but most of the survivors are likely to be among the world's most affluent in my opinion. Some with survivalist skills may emerge on the other side of the bottleneck event as well.
"There is no better way to save biodiversity than by preserving habitat, and no better habitat, species for species, than wilderness." --Edward O. Wilson

Joe

Post by Joe » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:56 pm

PAwildernessadvocate wrote:
In my measured opinion Homo sapiens are not necessarily racing toward extinction, but rather racing toward a pronounced "bottleneck" event. There will be survivors, but most of the survivors are likely to be among the world's most affluent in my opinion. Some with survivalist skills may emerge on the other side of the bottleneck event as well.
or maybe billions of people will continue to populate the globe but a very low standard of living- as the Republican "vision" of the trickle up theory spreads around the globe...

Joe

PAwildernessadvocate

Post by PAwildernessadvocate » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:48 pm

Joe wrote: or maybe billions of people will continue to populate the globe but a very low standard of living
No doubt we will muddle along like that for some time to come, but eventually, inevitably, the fossil fuels will for all intents and purposes be exhausted. This is the way I tend to look at it: for all of human history we have stayed below one billion people with slow population growth. Since only about 1800 we have added about six billion additional humans at an ever accelerating rate. That population explosion has largely come courtesy of the use of finite fossil fuel resources like petroleum, natural gas, and coal. Therefore, it is axiomatic that when you take those fossil fuels away, you will also take the bloated human population away. In my opinion it is unavoidable in the end.
Last edited by PAwildernessadvocate on Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
"There is no better way to save biodiversity than by preserving habitat, and no better habitat, species for species, than wilderness." --Edward O. Wilson

Joe

Post by Joe » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:48 am

what we need to figure out is- what is the carrying capacity of this planet for naked apes- such that biodiversity will not be reduced, and that the climate will stabilize (at least on a short time scale)

Joe

PAwildernessadvocate

Post by PAwildernessadvocate » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:45 pm

Joe wrote:...what is the carrying capacity of this planet for naked apes- such that biodiversity will not be reduced, and that the climate will stabilize...
My rough guess is a population of no more than half a billion people worldwide for an extended period of time in order to achieve those things you've listed.

Return to “Art: Mixed Media. Other Forms, and Unclassified”