Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

edfrank

Artworks at Esherick Museum show are ode to a tree

Post by edfrank » Thu May 31, 2012 6:44 pm

Artworks at Esherick Museum show are ode to a tree
Thu, May. 31, 2012, 3:01 AM
Virginia A. Smith

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20120 ... _tree.html
...Esherick died in 1970 at 82, and the tree, struck by lightning decades ago, somehow hung on till 2010, when it was taken down for safety reasons. "I still miss it. It literally filled the window," says Paul Eisenhauer, curator of the Wharton Esherick Museum, at the artist's studio/house.

Click on image to see its original size
Curator Paul Eisenhauer on the spiral staircase designed by Esherick, who was known as the "godfather of the studio furniture movement."

Now, like Esherick himself, a cultlike figure known as "Thoreau in wood" and the "godfather of the studio furniture movement," the tree - more than 80 feet tall and a century old - lives on in a substantial way. Chunks of it were distributed to 45 artists, most from the Philadelphia area, who made 75 tables and chairs, shelves, stools, platters, plates and bowls from it. They'll be on display, and for sale, at the Chester Springs Studio in Historic Yellow Springs through June 10....
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Return to “Art: Mixed Media. Other Forms, and Unclassified”