Art Project Using Stumps: Request for Help

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

markus

Art Project Using Stumps: Request for Help

Post by markus » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:26 pm

Dear Mr Leverett,

I am a visual artist living in Durham, North Carolina. I have also been a university art professor. I mention this as academia brought me to New England and Vermont where I lived for three years while a visitor at Dartmouth. I later went on to Cornell as a visitor and lived in Ithaca in upstate New York for six years. During this time I began I began to develop a body of art work tied to old growth. The work manifested itself as paper castings of old growth stumps, prints taken form the end grains of stumps and slabs cut from huge trees, site specific works, and artist books. The first about a lost old growth White Pine stand at Eighth Lake in the Adirondacks called "Crosscuts"
crosscuts.JPG
I am also linking you to some images from an artist book I published in 2006 called Crosscuts, Intersections between the Forest and History. It was also the title of an exhibition form that year at Lawrence University of which I can send you some images also. The link is for a traveling exhibition of artist books called Arcadia id est which went around the world. In this work I document a lost old growth white pine forest in the Adirondacks at Eighth Lake. I gold leafed some stumps and used digital means to reconstruct them as columns.

http://www.bookarts.uwe.ac.uk/arcadia/iwinski1.htm

http://www.bookarts.uwe.ac.uk/arcadia/iwinski2.htm

My current artist book is actually a kind of Lexicon of huge stump prints arranged in book format and standing about six feet high. I am attaching a couple of images to give you a sense of the work including a model for the new book project. My reason for contacting you has to do with research for the project and locating sites. Although I am awed by intact old growth forests I actually use stumps in my work. There are several reasons for this. First, conceptually stumps mark the intersection between the forest and history. I am interested in what they then reveal by their absence about the landscape that was. Secondly, it is practical to print form a stump to get a cross section, something not possible or desirable with existing old growth. The image is more than aesthetic dendrochronology, it becomes an abstract evocation of the spiritual presence of the tree and forest, if you will. The works become a means by which presence, scale, and history can be imparted to the viewer. Admittedly this is sad work as the awareness of what has been loss is always in front of you. It is perhaps nostalgic in a forward looking in making visible what may again be possible in the forest.

My hope in contacting you is to locate exemplar stumps which I may be able to print from to finish my Lexicon. Frankly, the bigger the better! I have been in touch with Rob Messick who is helping me locate old Chestnut stumps in the region here. The process has been a little haphazard in that I often have to spend a lot of time looking for the sites or rely upon chance to locate a good stump for the project. I am not opposed to travelling to sites and have spent time hiking into obscure off trail sites with all of my equipment including huge rolls of paper to do the work. In any event if you have information that may be useful in terms of sites either in NC or the north east which may be useful I would appreciate it. I would be happy to share more images with you and look forward to talking with you about the project.

My website (which is just up) shows an image of me printing in the forest is only just up and lacks more images at this point but it does have a bio and some artist statements detailing the two main bodies of work I am dealing with.

http://www.markiwinski.com

My plans are to find as many large chestnut and White Pine stumps of big scale for my artist book as possible. My intent is to do another artist book at some point as an homage to the American Chestnut similar to Crosscuts. So any information on old stands would particularly be useful.

I hope you like the work. I can certainly answer any questions about materials, scale, and titling as needed. Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Mark Iwinski

Here are some examples of my work:
6 Terrains of Absence Installation, View detail ring Nebula on left
6 Terrains of Absence Installation, View detail ring Nebula on left
7 Ghost-Old growth stump cast in situ 2006
7 Ghost-Old growth stump cast in situ 2006
12 Monstrum and Coda floor installation
12 Monstrum and Coda floor installation
14 Caudex maquette standing ajar
14 Caudex maquette standing ajar

edfrank

Re: Art Project Using Stumps: Request for Help

Post by edfrank » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:30 pm

NTS,

Bob Leverett received this request for help with an interesting body of artistic work being produced by Mark Iwinski. He can use our help. He plans to join the BBS and the Facebook page in the next few. The post above is material I merged from his initial letter and follow-up correspondence with me regarding the project - so any bad juxtaposition is really my fault. I want to encourage people to post responses to the request here and to his email address miwinski@nc.rr.com artists website: http://www.markiwinski.com

Thank you,
Edward Frank
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Joe

Post by Joe » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:17 am

Very interesting! Ever since I read Shigo's book, "Discoloration and Decay in Living Trees" I've been fascinated with the patterns in trees which we seldom see. The artistic value of such patterns is a worthy persuit.
Joe

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:58 am

Very interesting project and the artwork is wonderful. I know of a really cool Live Oak Stump that would be wild on paper or a casting would be a huge undertaking. It was a 5' dia. stump thrown out from the bottom of Bay St Louis Ms. by hurricane Katrina. The city had it on display but it is decaying fast. Where is the link to his email, I didn't find it on his site. Larry

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:50 am

Larry,

Click on the email button below the poster's image on the first post in the thread "Markus" is the artist we are talking about. This is the email itself:
miwinski@nc.rr.com
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

AndrewJoslin

Post by AndrewJoslin » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:44 pm

Excellent work, welcome to the ENTS Markus!
-AJ

Steve Galehouse

Post by Steve Galehouse » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:10 pm

Mark, NTS-

These are really neat images. Sort of a dendrological Rorschach test.

Steve
every plant is native somewhere

Jenny

Post by Jenny » Mon May 14, 2012 7:18 am

Markus,

Incredible work. Beautiful and moving.

I am in NYC so their are not many huge tree stumps from old growth forests, but there is an old growth forest at the NY Botanical Gardens in the Bronx. Although they have closed the paths that went through the now dead hemlocks, their may be some largish stumps. And it is certainly powerful to document the deaths of so many hemlocks in the northeast.

I would post this request on other discussion forums if you haven't received enough feedback on where to find large stumps. I don't see any suggestions here, but people may have responded to you directly. And this is an old post that I am just reading now.

Thank you for sharing your images. Rare to see such innovative and wonderful works,

Jenny
Suburbia is where the developer bulldozes out the trees, then names the streets after them. ~Bill Vaughn

Return to “Art: Mixed Media. Other Forms, and Unclassified”