Art studio in the woods

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

AndrewJoslin

Art studio in the woods

Post by AndrewJoslin » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:00 pm

I had the pleasure to spend an afternoon in woods near Boston making bark rubbings and drawings with local artist Nancy Aleo. We focused on an American Beech that had fallen over a few years back (not sure exactly when it fell) but remains alive. We made bark rubbings using a thin mulberry paper and also tried rice paper. The smooth barked species worked best, I tried working on a white pine but the bark texture was too rough for the paper. More experimentation is needed to figure out the best papers for different bark types. We made rubbings from Black Gum, Yellow Birch, White Pine and American Beech. Nancy also made rubbings from the upper surface of large Ganoderma applanatum (Artist's Conk).

The most enjoyable part was simply working in the "woods studio".

Nancy looking over the work

Click on image to see its original size

A. Beech rubbing, the date "1901" is captured (vertically) on the upper left

Drawing on Ganoderma applanatum with a twig

More photos

Video showing the rubbing process on the beech:
http://vimeo.com/27662719

-AJ

edfrank

Re: Art studio in the woods

Post by edfrank » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:37 pm

Andrew,

I actually have two rolls of four foot wide paper to do this exact same thing. For one of them i want to trace all the arborglyphs on the Bible Tree in Brookville, PA as part of a historical archaeology project. The others to do other trees. (They found a second - so that may eat up my second roll also.)

Ed
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Return to “Art: Mixed Media. Other Forms, and Unclassified”