This forest has its own theme song

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:58 pm

I've always thought the marimba was a neat instrument. This cell phone commercial shows just how cool the marimba is. It uses nothing more than planks of wood, a ball and good old gravity. Watch as the forest plays you a beautiful rendition of Bach's Cantata 147.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_CDLBTJD4M&feature=player_embedded#at=170

ENTS,

This is an interesting little video in which a wooden ball rolls down a series of steps making a musical piece. It is apparently an advertisement for a Japanese phone, but it only appears briefly at the end of the video clip. "TOUCH WOOD SH-08C Product Image
From the city, happy in the woods."

Ed
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

michael gatonska

Re: This forest has its own theme song

Post by michael gatonska » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:57 am

Hi Edward,

I have to say, that in general, I think that Japan is a country with great cultural energy. To an unusual degree (I think), the Japanese always seem to lay emphasis on gratitude toward those beneficient forces of nature. I would have really liked to be on the set for this one.

Michael
Michael Gatonska
“What is essential, is invisible to the eye” –Antoine de Saint-Exupery
http://www.youtube.com/user/EcoEarSound ... sults_main

Joe

Post by Joe » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:26 am

michael gatonska wrote:Hi Edward,

I have to say, that in general, I think that Japan is a country with great cultural energy. To an unusual degree (I think), the Japanese always seem to lay emphasis on gratitude toward those beneficient forces of nature. I would have really liked to be on the set for this one.

Michael
they also seem to show respect to the Gods of War....
Joe

Jenny

Post by Jenny » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:17 am

The Japanese culture is the only one I think would make such a surprising and beautiful structure.

From what I've read and movies I've seen, the Japanese have great respect for forests.

Jenny

(Joe, aw,are you referring to the quaint Samurais, the Russo-Japanese spat, the several attempts to conquer China as well as Korea, and that little skirmish in the Pacific?)
Suburbia is where the developer bulldozes out the trees, then names the streets after them. ~Bill Vaughn

Joe

Post by Joe » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:24 pm

Jenny,

yuh, I guess those things too.... I recall how much I enjoyed the novel Shogun- at the beginning, a hack samurai is walking down a road- he sees a peasant, the peasant bows but just now quite low enough- so the samurai proceeds to dice up the peasant with his sword- shortly after that, the samurai goes to an ever so polite and sophisticated tea ceremony- that contrast really shocked me- we don't have that in the west- the brutes are brutes all the time, no tea ceremony for them...
Joe

Return to “Art: Mixed Media. Other Forms, and Unclassified”