Unrecorded pre-historic Populations of Osage orange

Discussions of trees and forests of historical importance or simply of exceptional trees. Discussions should also be cloned into the appropriate location section of the BBS.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#1)  Unrecorded pre-historic Populations of Osage orange

Postby samson'sseed » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:52 am

The pre-historic range of Osage orange has long been assumed to have been bottomlands along the Red River drainage system.

The local presence of Hagen's sphinx moth may be evidence of other unrecorded populations of this relic species.

Osage orange is the sole known host of Hagen's sphinx moth.

I came across this surprising hypothesis in an academic book written for the University of Alabama Press in 2003  about the Blackland Prairie region of Alabama and Mississippi.

I wrote an article about Osage orange on my blog. https://markgelbart.wordpress.com/2017/ ... rk-swamps/
samson'sseed

Has Liked: 20 times
Has Been Liked: 28 times
Print view this post

#2)  Re: Unrecorded pre-historic Populations of Osage orange

Postby ElijahW » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:21 pm

Samson,

I read your article and your argument for a more widespread distribution of Osage orange in the past makes sense.  I had never heard of the Blackland prairie, but the short descriptions of it I just looked through seem very interesting.  Would you consider it basically an extension of the southern plains, running through Texas and terminating in the Llano Estacado (Staked Plains) area?  

Osage orange, though not common, is present in my area.  Every tree I've seen was growing in an old hedgerow.  My grandfather, an amateur woodworker, really liked the heartwood for its color.

Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks

For this message the author ElijahW has received Likes :
samson'sseed
ElijahW

Has Liked: 208 times
Has Been Liked: 245 times
Print view this post

#3)  Re: Unrecorded pre-historic Populations of Osage orange

Postby samson'sseed » Mon May 01, 2017 9:16 am

Many paleoecologists believe the Blackland prairie and pine savannahs along the coastal plain were corridors of grassland where western flora and fauna moved back and forth during the Pleistocene.

There are many western species of organisms still found in these natural communities.
samson'sseed

Has Liked: 20 times
Has Been Liked: 28 times
Print view this post

#4)  Re: Unrecorded pre-historic Populations of Osage orange

Postby Larry Tucei » Tue May 02, 2017 9:21 am

Interesting article. Osage Orange is all over Central Ms and some are quite large. Larry

For this message the author Larry Tucei has received Likes :
samson'sseed
Larry Tucei

Has Liked: 660 times
Has Been Liked: 573 times
Print view this post

Return to History and Historical Great Trees