The ENTS method and Longwood Gardens

The Eastern Native Tree Society is a chapter of the NTS focusing on the trees and forests of Eastern United States and Canada. This forum is for discussions of the ENTS chapter itself including meetings, events, and operations.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

pabigtrees

The ENTS method and Longwood Gardens

Post by pabigtrees » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:49 pm

Hello all. I have been away. I hope everyone is well.

Ed has asked me to share my work at Longwood Gardens with ENTS.

I started at Longwood http://www.longwoodgardens.org almost four years ago. I was asked to show the arborist team how to measure trees properly. After a short demonstration of the ENTS method, I asked if they needed help part time, and I was hired on the spot.

They wanted to document every tree on the property. The process is :

locate and identify the tree. Most are already accessioned, having a tag with a number identifying them.
Using the ENTS method, measure the tree
Analyze the tree, inspecting for issues concerning maintenance, defects, previous work completed (lightning protection, cables, braces etc)
Photograph the tree
Enter all data collected into a spreadsheet format, and with photos, submit to the curator.

The curatorial dept. in turn enters the data into BGbase (an inventory system) BGmap (GPS locates the trees for mapping)
Plant Explorer (online database for the visitor to plan visits or view trees online) and finally the digital gallery (huge bank of photos for use in presentations, articles and the like)

The gardens proper, where the visitor can go contain just over 3500 trees. The perimeter areas are in process, but will be thousands more. Maybe I can get an award for measuring so many. I also look for champions of course, as is my original hobby. http://www.pabigtrees.com Longwood has 60 champions in the garden and about 30 so far in the perimeter. Many of these trees are odd species that you may never find anywhere else.

Recently I have been given a second task. I am to analyze the older trees (accessions beginning with "L") and select the best example per species so they can propagate them in our nursery for future replacements. I haven't begun to think about how I will select the "best" tree, but I will decide on that later.

Longwood has introduced signage and QR codes displaying the champions, along with tours self and guided. I also lead a bus tour once a year where we go look at big trees for 8 hours.

It has turned into quite the position, and will continue to grow.

I would like to plug my new book, Big trees of Pennsylvania 2011 edition for sale postage paid for $15 through my website. Thank you to those who have already purchased a copy.

Please respond with questions or answers.

Scott Wade

dbhguru

Re: The ENTS method and Longwood Gardens

Post by dbhguru » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:30 am

Scott,

Welcome back. We've missed your posts and participation. I certainly plan to purchase a copy of your book, and hope others will as well. If you get the chance, please join me on Nov 30th at Cook Forest. I plan to re-measure the Longfellow Pine, tallest tree in the Northeast. It has been years sense we got together. Time for a reunion.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

pabigtrees

Re: The ENTS method and Longwood Gardens

Post by pabigtrees » Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:31 pm

Bob, I agree, it has been a long time. The 30th is a Wednesday? Can't make that. Are you there over the weekend at all? I would love to bring the boys to Cook. Scott

Return to “Eastern Native Tree Society”