Lidar workshop next ENTS rendezvous?

The Eastern Native Tree Society is a chapter of the NTS focusing on the trees and forests of Eastern United States and Canada. This forum is for discussions of the ENTS chapter itself including meetings, events, and operations.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

AndrewJoslin

Lidar workshop next ENTS rendezvous?

Post by AndrewJoslin » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:56 pm

I've been reading all the helpful info posted by Steve Galehouse and others but I can't seem to get over the Lidar hump. Would be awesome if the ENTS could run a Lidar tools/process workshop at the next gathering.
-AJ

Joe

Re: Lidar workshop next ENTS rendezvous?

Post by Joe » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:48 pm

AndrewJoslin wrote:I've been reading all the helpful info posted by Steve Galehouse and others but I can't seem to get over the Lidar hump. Would be awesome if the ENTS could run a Lidar tools/process workshop at the next gathering.
-AJ
good idea! as a forester, I'd love to learn Lidar- in my younger days I'd teach myself lots of subjects, but now I'm old and lazy.... I bet a lot of foresters in Mass. would like to take it- might even draw some to attend the rest of the event...
Joe

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:06 pm

I have been trying to find some Lidar that is free for the Southeastern Us< Ms., Ala.,La, etc., and I'm like you Andrew, not to good at it. You have to download all kind of files and so on, I can't figure it out. Larry

Will Blozan

Post by Will Blozan » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:01 am

Andrew,

I second this idea; Steve, Paul, Jess, Michael, Dan or Josh coming?

Will

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:08 am

ENTS,

Gary and I would love to include a session on LIDAR and how to use it. We'll make the time at the October conference if anyone cares to present the subject. Steve?

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:02 am

Isn't Will going to be talking some about LIDAR and tuliptrees? What you need isn't really a presentation, so much as people sitting down around a table with everyone interested and working through the process step by step from downloading data to processing it. A hands on experiece for those interested in learning. Everybody nterested should bring their laptops!!!
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Josh Kelly

Post by Josh Kelly » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:21 pm

Hey Ents,

It's been years since I traveled as far as MA, and with me trying to minimize my carbon footprint and having a new job, this year is not looking good. I recently gave a workshop on using Fusion software and raw LiDAR data to model forest vegetation, basically the stuff Paul Jost turned me on to plus a couple of additional tricks I have learned. I would be happy to share the meager teaching materials and presentation with anyone who wants it.

Basically, if you are beginning to use the command line functions of Fusion to manipulate raw LiDAR data, my advice is: be aware of file paths and data management, learn a few things about the switches for each routine, and especially, mind your syntax.

Looks like another great forest summit in the tradition of excellence of the MA NTS.

Josh

AndrewJoslin

Post by AndrewJoslin » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:30 pm

Josh Kelly wrote:...Basically, if you are beginning to use the command line functions of Fusion to manipulate raw LiDAR data, my advice is: be aware of file paths and data management, learn a few things about the switches for each routine, and especially, mind your syntax.
Exactly why a hands-on workshop would be most beneficial :-)
-AJ

Steve Galehouse

Post by Steve Galehouse » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:44 pm

dbhguru wrote:ENTS,

Gary and I would love to include a session on LIDAR and how to use it. We'll make the time at the October conference if anyone cares to present the subject. Steve?

Bob
Bob, ENTS-

I'd love to make it to the East in mid-October, but it isn't likely to happen-----I've just been laid-off indefinitely, I turn 60 in two weeks, and today was diagnosed with shingles(sounds like the theme of a bad Country music song). I am escaping to my cabin in Ontario on Friday, for a week of fishing and reflection.

Steve
every plant is native somewhere

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:04 pm

Steve,

I feel your pain, our dear friend, both the emotional and the physical. I'm no stranger to the shingles. Your ENTS family is with you.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Return to “Eastern Native Tree Society”