Agawam High School Students Project

NTS events suggested or planned for 2012

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#1)  Agawam High School Students Project

Postby dbhguru » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:45 am

NTS,

Later this morning, I'll be addressing a group of Agawam H.S. students at Robinson SP. The objective is to introduce students to simple tree measurements and work from the absolute most basic measurements upward as far as it makes sense to go. I have no idea what to expect, but I hope to challenge the students' imaginations and desire to know more about their forests. Robinson SP has the 4th highest Rucker Index of all the sites we've surveyed in Massachusetts and sports the champion tall tuliptree. There is definitely resources in Robinson to work with, and three math teachers will be present (two retired) to help students grasp the principles that will be applied.

I admit to feeling a little awkward. My entire teaching career of 24 years was at the college level. I've done some field trips for high schools and grade schools in the past with mixed results. My hope has been to find a school that has, let's say a math club, and appeal to students who have a very focused interest in that subject and challenge them to make math work in the field. If some young minds catch fire, it could be exciting. The question is whether or not I have what it takes to spark their interest. We'll see.

If this experiment works we will attempt to expand it, first in Agawam High and then elsewhere. Stranger experiments have worked.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and Executive Director
Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
dbhguru

Has Liked: 4 times
Has Been Liked: 1078 times
Print view this post

#2)  Re: Agawam High School Students Project

Postby eliahd24 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:44 pm

Very interested to see how it went.  I've been doing informal education for middle and high schoolers for a few years now and have often wondered how they would respond to our NTS activities and methods.  Best of luck!
eliahd24

Has Liked: 240 times
Has Been Liked: 154 times
Print view this post

#3)  Re: Agawam High School Students Project

Postby dbhguru » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:16 pm

Eli,

It went well. The kids were attentive and seemed to enjoy the demonstrations. Bart Bouricius, back from Peru, went with me and showed  how to get a climbing line up into a tree. We measured a tuliptree. I took the individual measurements and one of the kids did the math, and got it right. That was pretty cool.

I'm not sure where we'll go from here, but it was a satisfying first event.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and Executive Director
Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
dbhguru

Has Liked: 4 times
Has Been Liked: 1078 times
Print view this post

Return to Events 2012