Facebook Insights March 5, 2012

https://www.facebook.com/groups/nativetreesociety/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Native-Tree-Society/106472616107768

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

edfrank

Facebook Insights March 5, 2012

Post by edfrank » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:49 am

Facebook provides a series of statistics and graphs about who visits the Native Tree Society Facebook page. I thought I would share the numbers for you. What they mean - I am not so sure about.
insights1.JPG
insights1a.JPG
insights3.JPG
insights4.JPG
insights5.JPG
Who we are reaching
Who we are reaching
insights6.JPG
insights7.JPG
insights8.JPG
insights9.JPG
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

KoutaR

Re: Facebook Insights March 5, 2012

Post by KoutaR » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:32 am

Ed,

This like statistics would be interesting for the BBS, too. For example, how has the number of guests developed (I have noticed it has increased), where are our guests from, etc.

Kouta

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:51 pm

Kouta,

I would be curious to see such statistics for the BBS, but there isn't a similar function. Facebook collects large amounts of information about the people using it - ranging from country of origin, language, sex, age and info on how posts are viewed, linked, posted, and forwarded. The BBS does not collect any of that information on its users. It knows who has posted what, and how many times a post has been viewed and not much else. It doesn't collect any personal information at all about unregistered visitors. So even if there was an app available to do statistics the needed information to generate similar graphs isn't being collected to be displayed.

Ed
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Chris

Post by Chris » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:55 pm

The two things I noticed there are many more women as fans of the facbook page compared to posters on the forum. The other is after the US, Australia is the most common country of fans. On here, there isn't much posted about it.

I don't know if that is of any great insight, just somethings I noticed.

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:59 pm

Chris,

I don't know who all of the people are who have Liked the page or where they are all from. I can see a list of them by name on the Facebook page, but need to then click on their individual page to find out anything about them. I know there is an arborists from Australia who has liked the page. There is a Veteran Tree Group Australia and an Australasian Dendrochronology Group in Australia who may have had some members join. I liked their pages on Facebook to keep up with what is going on in the groups. I have posted some of their links to the NTS Facebook page. Pages and groups tend to grow as they exchange more links with other related pages. I have liked many groups with similar interests, share links, and watch what others are posting. I am trying to encourage people from areas outside of North American to participate more. maybe more will come on board and join the BBS as well. One of the likes is from Sharon Dow, who is not a tree person per se, but a Facebook friend. Her daughter Isabel is a young girl involved with the Australia Zoo and is the Children's representative for the Sea Shepard Conservancy.

We have had a few people from England join the BBS through the NTS Facebook page, but they have not posted much to the BBS. I updated the referenced graph with one with the country list expanded (I had meant to do so initially) so you can see likes from a scattering of countries around the world. Some of the likes I know the source, most of the others I do not. Data is always useful, I just don't know what to make of it, or how to translate it into more members and more active members.

The lack of female participants in the BBS as opposed to the Facebook page is puzzling. It is the subject of a separate discussion thread: http://www.ents-bbs.org/viewtopic.php?f=281&t=2705 Perhaps is a result of the more passive observer status of Facebook versus the more active participatory nature of the BBS. It certainly is not a simple question to answer. Perhaps I will post about it on Facebook and see what response I get there.

Ed Frank

AndrewJoslin

Post by AndrewJoslin » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:38 am

edfrank wrote:The lack of female participants in the BBS as opposed to the Facebook page is puzzling. It is the subject of a separate discussion thread: http://www.ents-bbs.org/viewtopic.php?f=281&t=2705 Perhaps is a result of the more passive observer status of Facebook versus the more active participatory nature of the BBS. It certainly is not a simple question to answer.
I think facebook (and other similar apps) much more effectively mimic natural feedback patterns of human communication. A BBS is more like standing on a hill and shouting, then sitting around waiting for someone to shout back from another hilltop. Facebook provides a more nuanced interaction. Since women are generally more socially intelligent than men... facebook wins. Downside of facebook is the ephemeral quality, it's like having a conversation with your neighbor on a street corner, not particularly topic-centric. A BBS is clearly better for carrying on a substantive and retrievable conversation on a focused topic.
-AJ
Last edited by AndrewJoslin on Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:12 pm

March 8, 2012
March 8, 2012
March_8_2012.JPG (16.75 KiB) Viewed 1644 times

Return to “NTS Facebook Group and Page”