Social Media

https://www.facebook.com/groups/nativetreesociety/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Native-Tree-Society/106472616107768

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

edfrank

Social Media

Post by edfrank » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:38 pm

ENTS,

Bob Leverett has been encouraging me to write an article for the Bulletin looking at our web presence. I am wondering how many of you think that Social media, such as Facebook, is a fad and how many people think it has a real place in the new millennium. Here is a short video about the rise of Social Media. Check it out:

Social Media Revolution 2 (Refresh)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFZ0z5Fm-Ng&feature=player_embedded

Social Media Revolution 2 is a refresh of the original video with new and updated social media & mobile statistics that are hard to ignore. Based on the book Socialnomics by Erik Qualman.

By the way - this video has had 1,169,562 views so far...

"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Joe

Re: Social Media

Post by Joe » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:04 pm

I find Facebook immensily boring- but I found my honey on match.com and I like some specialized web places like the ENTS BBS but I'm not sure it's considered "social media"- to me social media is just hanging out like at a bar- whereas this BBS is a place for rather serious discussion. I also spend time in other specialized BBSs such as for computer stuff- but again, that's not social media.
Joe

Joe

Post by Joe » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:06 pm

But, I have to say, that video clip is very snazzy!

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:06 pm

Joe,

Social media means services like Facebook and Myspace. I like Facebook because I can view the feeds of news and links from dozens of organizations and tree people and well as seeing what my family and friends are up to. It allows you to create Groups and Pages focusing on a particular interest. I have created one for the Native Tree Society and post links and news related to forests and trees, items I think might be of broader interest, and links to posts made here on the BBS. All of the members of the group, currently 331 one of them, then gets those links sent to their own feed page to read or not as they choose. It is a different way of finding articles that may be of interest than trying to search for them on the internet or hoping that they are in the newspaper, on television, or sent to your email inbox by news-lists to which you might subscribe. It is also interactive as you have the opportunity to comment on materials and items that appear in these news feeds.

Ed
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Joe

Post by Joe » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:15 pm

Ed, do you have a day job? Where do you find time for all this? You certainly are doing a great service to all of us with the great stuff you find. Keep it coming.
Joe

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:38 pm

ENTS,

As a commentary on thepower of social media, the recent uprisings in Tunisia and Egypt are being reported as having been driven and organized by social media like Twitter and Facebook. Egypt has shut down the internet in the country to cut out the information exchange among the protesters from these sources.

Social media @ the front line in Egypt
By Tim Lister and Emily Smith, CNN
January 28, 2011 11:51 a.m. EST
http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/africa/01 ... index.html

Social media: Egypt's double standards
http://www.humanrightsmediaproject.org/ ... dards.html

Egypt blocks social media websites in attempted clampdown on unrest
Facebook, Google, Hotmail and Twitter among services blocked by government, report users
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/ja ... a-websites

gnmcmartin

Post by gnmcmartin » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:01 pm

I think the social media are wonderful. I don't participate for two reasons:m 1. I have a slow dial-up connection, so too much time is wasted waiting for pages to load. That is a reason why I am not more active in ENTS. 2. I have two missing discs in my lower back. I can sit for about 30 minutes OK, but more than that and I become uncomfortable. I do lots and lots of exercises to strengthen my back and compensate for the missing discs, so I can do forestry work, etc., etc. But just sitting at a computer can be no fun at all after a relatively short time. So, don't expect to see me on Faebook any time soon. If I get a high speed connection someday, maybe.

When the internet was new, I learned HTML and the pico text editor, and since the university where I worked would host my personal homepage, I built one, which was a lot of fun! I was always adding ideas/things I thought interesting or funny. Some interesting people saw it and responded to one or more of the topics I had there. Maybe Facebook works the same way?

--Gaines

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:23 pm

Gaines,

Facebook is more like chatting and sharing news items than deeper discussions. You can write Blogs and post links to them for everyone to see on Facebook. You can post notes, or links to websites or webpages you have created. You can post photos and videos. You can link to videos hosted on other sites like Youtube or Vimeo. You can link to photo albums on other sites. It really doesn't allow you to post longer or deeper discussions directly, but it lets you link to anything else you have written, photographed, or want to share almost anywhere on the web. I like to read the news feeds people post, and if the subject looks interesting, click on the link. I see what my personal friends and relatives are up to. I make smart asses comments to peoples statuses and notes.

Ed

Return to “NTS Facebook Group and Page”