ENTS/Facebook Intergration

https://www.facebook.com/groups/nativetreesociety/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Native-Tree-Society/106472616107768

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:49 am

In this time where social networking is all the rage, I wanted to comment upon the ENTS presence on Facebook http://www.facebook.com. There are many individual members who have an account on the service. Facebook is free and I find it to be an interesting forum. If you join you are welcome to “friend me” Edward Frank. I subscribe, have joined, friended, or liked dozens of different tree related and environmental groups who have a presence on Facebook. I have also friended a couple hundred people who are friends, relatives, other ENTS members, tree climbers, or conservation activists. Posts these groups, organizations and people make appear in my newsfeed. I find this to be a useful stream of information and resources. Sure there is lots of nonsense, but there is neat stuff as well. If you join Facebook, or are already a member, you can view my groups and likes on my profile page – info tab – other. You might find groups there that reflect your interests. There are tons of free games that really can suck up your time. I have played some of them some of the time, but currently am not participating in any games. (You can block posts about other people’s game results by right clicking on the post and selecting to block posts from the game.) I also have MySpace page, but the service does not offer the opportunity for promotion of groups like ENTS as is available through Facebook.
ents_group.jpg
I created a Facebook Group for the Eastern Native Tree Society. If you have a Facebook account can be accessed by going to this link directly: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/gro ... 558&ref=ts or you can search for the group name. The group on Facebook has 283 members. In the group members can post links, messages, photos, videos or discussions. Messages posted on the group wall will appear on the group page and notices of the posting will be sent to the newsfeed of members of the group. Lately I have been posting links to threads as they appear on the ENTS BBS to the Facebook ENTS group, as well as links to other sites as I find mention-worthy news items or resources. Members are welcome to post materials and links here, but are ask to restrict political themed posts to their own personal pages and focus on trees and tree related materials when posting the ENTS Facebook Group. I will delete any inappropriate posts. If you are on Facebook, and find links of interest, or want to post a discussion to the group, feel free to do so. There also is a parallel group for the Western Native Tree Society.
ents_community.JPG
There also is a page for the Eastern Native Tree Society Community page http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pag ... 505?ref=ts. This is a page generated by Facebook itself and contains material as generated by a search engine pulling from our Group page and elsewhere. I do not control the content of this page, but since it is generated from material for the most part I have posted, I don’t really see a problem. I have joined it, but so far I am the only member for the community page.
frank.JPG
frank.JPG (11.74 KiB) Viewed 1489 times
The final thing I want to mention is an app called “Pieces of Flair.” It lets you post a series of buttons that bear messages in a tab on your profile page. Some are funny, express an opinion, etc. You can even create your own buttons. There is a button for both the Eastern Native Tree Society and then Western Native Tree Society available for your “Pieces of Flair” app. Message me and I will gift them to you.

Edward Frank
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

edfrank

Native Tree Society Facebook Group

Post by edfrank » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:32 pm

ENTS

I renamed the Facebook Group from Eastern Native Tree Society to Native Tree Society on November 22, 2010.

Ed Frank

James Parton wrote:

Heck, Ed, The BBS here has well under 323 Members. A bit less than 200 the last time I looked.
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

edfrank

Re: Wild Earth Magazine?

Post by edfrank » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:52 pm

James,

The BBS has 195 users, some of them are banned spamers. The Facebook ENTS Group has 323 members.

Ed

James Parton

Post by James Parton » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:17 am

Ed,

Facebook has done wonderfully with ENTS. I guess it is because of Facebook's extreme popularity. I wish the BBS did that well. I really like the BBS format.
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:50 am

James,

The Facebook really seems to be more of a mailing list than anything else. I post links to interesting articles and stuff from the BBS, but rarely does anyone else ever post anything there. There isn't the trip reports posted, nor the back and forth discussion on Facebook like we have here on the BBS. It really provides a gateway to introduce people to the BBS more so than an active community in its own right. It is worth pursuing, but would not be a replacement for the BBS. It is something entirely different in nature.

Ed

James Parton

Post by James Parton » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:21 pm

Ed,

I thought that might be the case. More of a mailing or socializing site for less serious stuff than what the BBS has. Still, the fact that it has more members on it than the BBS has does say something.
James E Parton
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

greenent22

Post by greenent22 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:12 pm

edfrank wrote:James,

The BBS has 195 users, some of them are banned spamers. The Facebook ENTS Group has 323 members.

Ed
What's the link to the facebook group?

When I use search it just points to some Wiki ENTS thing that has 3 likes.

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:42 am

Hello,

There is a Facebook link on the homepage of our website. The direct link to the ENTS Group is:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=7 ... 558&ref=ts

You will likely need to log into Facebook before going to the ENTS Link.

Ed

Joe

Post by Joe » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:42 am

Facebook is an internet swamp- once you go there, you get hooked in so many ways- I found it rather boring- not the ENTS Facebook page as I didn't know about it- I just don't understand why so many people are hooked on it- or maybe, I'm just an old geezer who can't understand why anyone would want a horseless carriage.
Joe

James Parton

Post by James Parton » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:04 am

Joe,

I feel the same way. It is like an endless web. You can get lost. The BBS is so much better. I am talking about facebook as a whole. The ENTS individual facebook page is better.
James E Parton
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

Return to “NTS Facebook Group and Page”