NTS Partnerships

Information about the Native Tree Society organization itself http://www.nativetreesociety.org including meetings, events, and operations.
dbhguru

NTS Partnerships

Post by dbhguru » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:10 pm

NTS

Marsh-Billings National Historic Park is the second National Historic Park that NTS has supported. The list of partnerships for us has grown impressively. Here are the ones that come to mind.

Great Smoky Mountains NP
Blue Ridge Parkway
Congaree National Park
Morristown National Historic Park
Marsh-Billings National Historic Park
Nantahala National Forest
San Juan National Forest
Mass Department of Conservation and Recreation
Cook Forest State Park, PA
Mass Audubon
Trustees of Reservation
Laurel Hill Association
Biltmore Estate
Holyoke Community College
City of Northampton, Look Park
Harvard Forest
Great Old Broads for Wilderness
American Forests

There are other organizations that Will Blozan could add and Michael Taylor no doubt has some groups as well. But the role that NTS is playing in support of other organizations is growing. Not a bad record.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Larry Tucei

Re: NTS Partnerships

Post by Larry Tucei » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:47 am

Bob, A very impressive listing and it says tons of how NTS has grown over the years. The Forestry and Science community are really taking notice thanks to all your hard work and others in NTS. The sky is the limit! I was lucky enough to be a team member on the Congaree Project, Biltmore Project and Great Smoky Mountains NP. It was a real pleasure working with everyone and I hope to be more involved in the future. What a super group of people we have and I'm proud to be a member of such a great organization. Thanks to everyone!!!! I hope to get up to New England in the near future but for now Colorado next summer!!! Larry

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:09 pm

Bob,

Here are some other places to be added or considered for a listing:

Middleton Place, SC

You should specifically list the William Cullen Bryant Estate in addition to the Trustees of the Reservation (which doesn't mean anything to the average reader)

Jefferson's Poplar Forest (The Corporation for Jefferson's Poplar Forest)

James Madison's Montpelier Estate (Montpelier Foundation and the National Trust for Historic Preservation)

McConnells Mill State Park, PA (not just mapping, Anthony Kelly and I had a research permit to collect a basswood cross-section)

Winterthur Museum,Garden and Library, Wilmington, Delaware (I am not sure we had any kind of a formal arrangement).

I would encourage Larry to add any sites where he presented himself as a representative of the Native Tree Society as part of his Live Oak Project.

Edward Frank
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:23 pm

Ed,

Hopefully, others have done programs or collected data for an organization under at least an informal agreement. If so, we would like to know the names of the organizations. By the first post, I was hoping to get the ball rolling. It is through recognition by others who represent important organizations that our story is best told.

BTW, I'm getting more inquiries on the Oct 12th event. I believe it is shaping up to be a very significant event. Through the strong partnership we have with the Massachusetts DCR, we have an opportunity to play an ever-expanding role.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

eliahd24

Post by eliahd24 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:08 pm

You could add the following from the Atlanta area (plus one in NC):

Highlands-Cashiers Land Trust
Fernbank Museum
Trees Atlanta
The Frazer Center and Frazer Forest
South Fork Conservancy
Piedmont Park Conservancy
Atlanta Botanical Gardens
Woodland Gardens
Brookwood Hills Community Club
Chastain Park Conservancy
Chattahoochee National Forest

.... mostly informal agreements or organizations we've shared data with (trees on their property)

~Eli

eliahd24

Post by eliahd24 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:08 pm

Oh and Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area!

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:09 pm

Eli,

Wow, impressive. I hope other Ents have enjoyed similar successes in representing the Native Tree Society.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

tsharp

Post by tsharp » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:08 am

Bob, NTS:
Some of agencies I have interacted with on tree measurement include the following:
Ohio River Islands National Wildlife Refuge
North Bend State Park
New River Gorge National River
Gauley River National Recreactional Area
Monongahela National Forest
WV Nature Conservacy
City of Parkersburg-Parks
City of Vienna- Parks
Blennerhassett State Historical Park

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:48 am

Turner,

Sooooper doooper! Great job. It is heartening to see the list of contacts growing. I'll keep the list compiled. I'll get on that project after the Oct 12th event.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:30 pm

Turner,

Excellent listing. I hope others will contribute to the effort and add their own partnership lists to the mix.

Edward Frank
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Return to “Native Tree Society”