Champion Art Hunt

Discussions of Art, Literature, Music, and Aesthetics as they deal with Trees and Forests, and of the interrelationships between people and nature.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#1)  Champion Art Hunt

Postby eliahd24 » Mon May 13, 2013 11:00 pm

As the volunteer manager of the Trees Atlanta "Champion Tree List" for Atlanta AND as a fan of the free street art movement in Atlanta, I came up with a public event that combines both of these endeavors in a fun and inventive way.  It's called the Champion Art Hunt and it occurs this weekend, May 17-19th, 2013 here in Atlanta, GA.  It's the second annual event and promises to be even bigger than last year.

What the heck is a champion art hunt??... I'm glad you asked.  It started as a grad school project in my social media class.  With 2 other classmates, I will give clues to the locations of art hidden in/around Atlanta's biggest ("Champion") trees via Facebook and Twitter. Participants take note of the clues and go on a hunt to find their very own piece of art! No sign up required. No fee. No limit to who can participate. No discrimination- all ages, all neighborhoods. Pieces are be dropped at many different times from Friday AM through Sunday.

In the spirit of togetherness and sharing that the free art movement encourages, we ask that participants limit their "take" to one piece.  You can hunt for (and find) as many as you like, but remember that this is for EVERYONE.

For more info, visit our Facebook event here: https://www.facebook.com/events/347216015388889/

You can also learn more on our website here: http://atlantagreenspaces.info/

Finally, on Twitter simply follow @greenspacesATL and the hashtags #FAFATL (stand for "free art for Atlanta") and #championarthunt to join the party!

~Eli

For this message the author eliahd24 has received Likes :
Will Blozan
eliahd24

Has Liked: 240 times
Has Been Liked: 154 times
Print view this post

#2)  Re: Champion Art Hunt

Postby Don » Tue May 14, 2013 5:07 pm

Eli-
I suspect at least some of us are hoping that such champion tree exposure won't result in "loving them to death"...this probably a reflection of my time spent working for the National Parks, where we too often were faced with our roles in "loving the Parks to death".  
Short of that, more power to ya!  Hoping that it's "moderately" popular event...: > }
-Don
Don Bertolette - President/Moderator, WNTS BBS
Restoration Forester (Retired)
Science Center
Grand Canyon National Park

BJCP Apprentice Beer Judge

View my Alaska Big Tree List Webpage at:
http://www.akbigtreelist.org
Don

Has Liked: 69 times
Has Been Liked: 225 times
Print view this post

#3)  Re: Champion Art Hunt

Postby eliahd24 » Tue May 14, 2013 6:25 pm

I've definitely thought about that Don.  There's some trees that were very intentionally left off the list for that very reason.  Not just potential harm to the trees, but sensitive understory plants, etc.  Some secrets are best kept as secrets.  It's a fine line though for sure- knowledge/appreciation of trees vs. loving them to death.

For this message the author eliahd24 has received Likes :
Will Blozan
eliahd24

Has Liked: 240 times
Has Been Liked: 154 times
Print view this post

Return to Art, Aesthetics, and Humanities