Partitioning Diversity

Discussion of general forest ecology concepts and of forest management practices.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Joe

Re: Partitioning Diversity

Post by Joe » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:32 am

pauljost wrote:I have a brief update. Because of Lou's recent achievements, our family has just been told that Lou has been awarded the equivalent of an alumni of the year award for 2011 from Lawrence University, http://www.lawrence.edu. It has not been formally announced, but I believe that it's one of their two annual distinguished achievement awards.

Regards,

Paul
Paul, sometime ask Lou if he agrees with the foresters who think that we need a lot more clearcutting to get more biodiversity. Of course I don't agree with that theory.
Joe

Don

Post by Don » Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:56 pm

Paul-=
Please extend to your brother, the hearty congratulations of ENTS and WNTS for the recognition of his achievements!
Joe-
Good to see you back trolling again...;>}
Don Bertolette - President/Moderator, WNTS BBS
Restoration Forester (Retired)
Science Center
Grand Canyon National Park

BJCP Apprentice Beer Judge

View my Alaska Big Tree List Webpage at:
http://www.akbigtreelist.org

pauljost

Post by pauljost » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:01 am

Don,

Thanks...

Joe,

Based upon previous discussions, I believe that Lou is against clearcutting except to remove invasive species or planted industrial forests.

Paul

Joe

Post by Joe » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:07 am

pauljost wrote:Don,

Thanks...

Joe,

Based upon previous discussions, I believe that Lou is against clearcutting except to remove invasive species or planted industrial forests.

Paul
Cool! Now I'll have to read his stuff. Of course, having gone to a mainstream, boring, forestry school- I was brainwashed into believing that some clearcutting is OK- and I do think some is OK, but not much- I'm dissapointed that our state forestry establishment is pushing clearcutting using absurd excuses- that it's urgently needed by wildlife, that it's urgenlty needed to get regeneration, that it's the best way to protect the forests from possible future catastrophe's, etc.... It's nice to know that a real biodiversity expert is not fond of the practice. Unfortunately, even some of the state's enviro groups have fallen for this lie.
Joe

pauljost

Post by pauljost » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:29 pm

As a follow up to this post, a research program activity has been scheduled to discuss my brother's papers. Unfortunately, it is out of reach of most of us in the Americas since it is being held at the Center for Mathematical Research in Barcelona, Spain next year. Grants are available for lodging and reduced fee registration for post-graduate students. A summary of the program follows:

Dates: July 2 to 6, 2012
Place: Centre de Recerca Matemàtica (CRM), Bellaterra, Barcelona, Spain
Objectives:
1. Develop diversity measures that are sensitive to species similarity.
2. Understand the mathematical content of Jost's partitioning result.
3. Extend Jost's partitioning result to similarity-sensitive measures.

This activity is not just about creating new mathematics. It is also crucial that the methods developed are useful to life scientists. This requires communication in both directions: From life scientists to mathematicians and from mathematicians to life scientists.

Scientific Committee
Ben Allen, Harvard University
Silvia Cuadrado, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona
Tom Leinster, University of Glasgow
Richard Reeve, University of Glasgow
John Woolliams, University of Edimburgh

Speakers (tentative)
John Baez, National University of Singapore
Jordi Bascompte, Estación Biológica de Doñana
Michel Bonsall, Oxford University
Anne Chao, National Tsing Hua University
Christina Cobbold, University of Glasgow
Anthony Ives, University of Wisconsin
Lou Jost, Independent researcher
Michel Loreau, McGill University
Louise Matthews, University of Glasgow
Hans Metz, Universiteit Leiden
Theo Meuwissen, Norwegian University of Life Sciences
Sandrine Pavoine, Muséum National d'Histoire Naturelle
Joan Pino Vilalta, Centre de Recerca Ecològica i Aplicacions Forestals/ Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona
William Sherwin, University of New South Wales

For more information, please reference:
http://www.crm.cat/Activitats/Activitat ... efault.htm
http://www.crm.cat/eng/default.htm

Regards,

Paul

Return to “Forest Ecology and Processes”