ENTS tulip-poplar paper

Project to create a height map for tuliptree populations across the eastern United States.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

James Parton

Re: ENTS tulip-poplar paper

Post by James Parton » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:33 pm

Cool...Ok...

James

James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

Neil

Post by Neil » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:33 am

yes, Bob is correct. the only true limit is time so, measurements from all over are fine up until leaf-on, right Bob? that makes a sensible deadline for an initial paper. it is up to you Bob, to place a cut-off date.

James, when this gets published, and it could easily take more than a yr, I'll make it available on my page or through Columbia Libraries. there is a movement in academia to make publications available to all. this process is starting at Columbia. when that day arrives, i'll def help share the news. it'll be a good day.

neil

tomhoward

Post by tomhoward » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:51 pm

ENTS,

I think the best time for the Central New York gathering and Tuliptree measuring session should be Arbor Day weekend - Fri. 4/29, Sat. 4/30, Sun. 5/1. That is the official time of year for trees. I don't think Tuliptree gets as far north as Watertown; the 144 ft. (or more - we should find out in this gathering) Tuliptrees of the Tuliptree Cathedral at Green Lakes are probably within 40 miles of Tuliptree's northern limit.

Tom Howard

eliahd24

Post by eliahd24 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:12 pm

Bob & Neil,
I now have 2 Tuliptrees confirmed over 160' in metro-Atlanta and a dozen or more in the 150's. The height record for the state (I believe) is a 169' specimen from a spot Jess visited in the North Georgia mountains. I can provide an updated list to Bob with the 5 tallest. Are you interested in girth as well? I have a list of all Atlanta Tulip's over 13' CBH too... a few in the 15'-17' CBH range.
~Eli

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:28 pm

Eli,

Yes, please include girth. What we're looking for are the 5 tallest trees for each site visited. One set of GPS coordinates for the site is sufficient. Will you have an opportunity to visit north Georgia and pick up a site or two?

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

eliahd24

Post by eliahd24 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:43 pm

April will be tough, but in May I could visit some N. Georgia sites... though that will be after leaf out.

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:25 pm

Eli,

May would be fine. A few more sites from the southern end of the Appalachians would carry extra significance to the work Neil is doing.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Neil

Post by Neil » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:39 am

Eli,
No GA would be a cool add. Another ENTS member, Jess Riddle, has clued our research into some old tulips in that neck of your woods, too! No GA is finally getting some of the natural recognition is deserves.

neil

eliahd24

Post by eliahd24 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:16 am

Neil, Bob,
I fully agree about the North GA mtns. Jess has some wonderful data from his many years down here, and I feel there are more superlative trees to be found. I'll talk with Jess directly as he can guide me to some good spots. I feel if Tulips are in the mid-160's in metro-Atlanta, then there's surely many taller than the 169' tree in N. GA. Especially with the recent amazing find in the Smokies- who knows what else is out there!

I sure wish I could find some LIDAR data from North Georgia... that would really speed things up!
~Eli

bbeduhn

Post by bbeduhn » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:39 am

I came across this photo from Pinery Provincial Park on Lake Huron in Ontario. I don't know if you're taking this international but these look to be awfully tall for that far north. Of course, there is no data.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/stilpaul/3870317525/

Return to “Liriodendron Height Project - Neil Pederson”