Another opportunity to participate in carbon

General discussions of measurement techniques and the results of testing of techniques and equipment.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

Re: Another opportunity to participate in carbon

Post by dbhguru » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:09 am

Don,

I Googled stem analysis after your post and was surprised at all the hits. Most sources require you to join a group like Oxford and pay for PDFs. Abstracts are free though. Most are inscrutable. You have no idea what you'd get from them, but one from Canada was clear as a bell. Here is an excerpt.
Screen Shot 2019-03-21 at 9.00.43 AM.png
It is apparent that there are numerous studies and papers written on the topic, which makes total sense because stem analysis is key to understanding growth potential with its attendant economic implications. How much of the analysis would be applicable to a tree that has reached a diameter of over 4 feet and a height of 150 feet is another matter, let alone a redwood-sized tree. Lots to explore.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Don

Post by Don » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:30 pm

Bob-
Off the top of my head, I recall from one of the Sillet/VanPelt papers that at times annual rings will not be continuous around the complete circumference...I don't recall that the annual rings failed to regain continuity above or below the 'disappearing annual ring'.
-Don
Don Bertolette - President/Moderator, WNTS BBS
Restoration Forester (Retired)
Science Center
Grand Canyon National Park

BJCP Apprentice Beer Judge

View my Alaska Big Tree List Webpage at:
http://www.akbigtreelist.org

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:18 pm

Ents,

Over the weekend I modeled a nearby white pine for stem volume. Ten frustums were employed and the result came to 355.46 ft^3. I then passed the spreadsheet to a forest biometrician friend who used a stem volume model named Westfall-Scott-2010. He supplemented the results by his use of numerical integration. To cut to the chase, he ran two scenarios, one assuming an original top of 120 feet and the other of 125. Both were to an actual broken top of 112 feet. The average of the two stem models differed from my reticle-based measurement by a mere 0.2 ft^3!! That’s amazing. Luck? Yes, to a degree, but also indicative to how well white pine stems conform to a model when stand-grown.

Use of another FIA-based model that yields carbon estimates gave 279.8 ft^3. This represents a 75.7 ft^3 difference or the equivalent of a 40-50 year old white pine stem. That's not small. The result points to the predictive tools being used that produce markedly different results, results that might lead to different conclusions about how fast trees grow. Lots to chew on.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:42 pm

Ents,

Projecting stand volume for the Trees of Peace at 50 years is pushing me to the limits of my data. It is part of a paper being written, profiling carbon in the stand over time. The attachment is my best shot tp date. Any comments or suggestions would be most appreciated.

Bob
Attachments
StandDensityAnalysis-50-150Years-3-30-2019.xlsx
(19.66 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

Erik Danielsen

Post by Erik Danielsen » Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:33 pm

Bob, if it helps, Monday I will have an opportunity to get some of the kind of datable-stand-grown-white-pine crown data you were asking about.

I appreciate the clarity of the discussion points- I feel like I could share this with knowledgeable friends who are not versed in dendromorphometry without needing to do much translating.

Return to “Measurement and Dendromorphometry”