Tripods

General discussions of measurement techniques and the results of testing of techniques and equipment.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

DougBidlack

Tripods

Post by DougBidlack » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:06 pm

NTS,
it's been a while since I've had to think about tripods but the one I have is just about ready for me to stick a fork in it. The dying tripod is a Gitzo that I bought back in the early 80's I think. Before buying that tripod I destroyed two tripods in less than two years...they were garbage. So I certainly like the toughness aspect of my Gitzo but I wish it wasn't so heavy (it weighs over 6.5 pounds) and so short (I have to stoop or get on my knees even when it is fully extended). The problem with buying a new Gitzo is that they are so darned expensive. I'm wondering what other NTS have to say about your tripods. I'm looking for one that will extend high enough that someone between 6'4" and 6'5" won't have to stoop, will be plenty tough enough to get banged around during backpacking trips and won't break the bank. Any thoughts will be most welcome. A lighter tripod would also be nice but is the least important feature for me. Thanks in advance,
Doug

mdvaden

Re: Tripods

Post by mdvaden » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:32 pm

Forget the brand I have. Will look later. It's in my van.

I've been using a carbon fiber camera tripod to put my laser or camera on. I can't vouch for how tough it may be. I've taken it on some long redwood bushwhacks, but am fairly careful not to bang it around. With a laser in my pack, or camera, there is a limit to how rough the ride should be regardless. The one I have twists to tighten leg height. I'm over 6 feet tall and can stand straight up looking into my camera or laser.

for my cameras, I keep a Manfrotto plate on each body for the Manfrotto ball head. So I bought an extra plate to put on the bottom of the laser bracket too.
M. D. Vaden of Oregon = http://www.mdvaden.com

200 Pages - Coast Redwoods - http://www.mdvaden.com/grove_of_titans.shtml

Portraits & Weddings - http://www.vadenphotography.com

Don

Post by Don » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:43 am

Doug-
I might have what you're looking for, or least one that comes close.
Do a search on:
Sunpak UltraPRO 423 Tripod with Compact Pistol Grip, Carbon Fiber
Amazon lists them at $64, which is a little cheaper than mine that I purchased at Best Buy (they're local here in Anchorage), and I could 'try one out' before buying it.
I use mine for steady shots with: 1)TruPulse 360 Laser Rangefinder; 2)Vortex Solo 8 x 36 Reticled monocular; 3) Sony pocket-sized travel zoom digital camera...each with it's own quick release base.
I've had both types of tripod styles but like the pistol grip one best.
I don't think there's a stronger lighter tripod in the 72" height, than this one. I'm 6'3", and am pleased with the 72"height/access...not sure if it would be high enough for your probable 74" eye height?
It is a carbon fiber (8 layer construction) with magnesium reverse folding 3 angle adjustment chassis; with compact pistol grip ball head; 3 leg sections, legs are adjusted with 2 flip levers; has short center column that allows camera to be mounted downward, under chassis for ground shots. Chassis has a bulls-eye leveling bubble.
Packs short (folded length is 27.5"), packs light (3.4 pounds), comes with a padded case~
-Don
PS:Times have changed...about 15 years ago, I asked the elder owner of Sandy's Photo Shop here in Anchorage, what did he recommend in a tall (enough for me), durable, light tripod? He said, after due consideration, and following a quick glance around him, opined that "I should buy the sturdiest one that I thought my wife could carry..."
Don Bertolette - President/Moderator, WNTS BBS
Restoration Forester (Retired)
Science Center
Grand Canyon National Park

BJCP Apprentice Beer Judge

View my Alaska Big Tree List Webpage at:
http://www.akbigtreelist.org

DougBidlack

Post by DougBidlack » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:29 pm

Mario and Don,
thanks for your replies and advice. I ended up buying a Slik 700DX Pro tripod and a Sirui K-20X ball head. Total cost with shipping was about $225 and together they will weigh close to what my old tripod weighed. Height will be much better though as the tripod gets to about 70-71" high and with the ball head I should be at a perfect height. I'll let you know how it works out when I get to test them out.
Doug

Don

Post by Don » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:29 pm

Doug
A day late, and some dollars short, I ran across a slightly better SunPak...am including a description, should you need it, as well as others;
SunPak PlatinumPlus Ultra 7000TM 'Heavy Duty Tripod'
Added utility - the center shaft can be removed and becomes a monopod has five twist-lock extensions for ultimate in light weight at 64.4" to top of panhead flip lever chassis
Maximum height (to mounting surface); 70"
Minimum height (legs compacted) 22.5"
Load capacity; 14.0 pounds
Weight: 4.1 pounds
Four leg sections with three flip lever leg locks
Head: photo or video
Price @ BestBuy - $60 (I paid less a year ago on sale...)
Don Bertolette - President/Moderator, WNTS BBS
Restoration Forester (Retired)
Science Center
Grand Canyon National Park

BJCP Apprentice Beer Judge

View my Alaska Big Tree List Webpage at:
http://www.akbigtreelist.org

JHarkness

Post by JHarkness » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:01 pm

Doug,

I saw this thread and thought I should recommend the tripod I use, but alas I see I'm too late. However, I will do as Don has and list it anyway if you or anyone else should find the information useful.

I use a Vanguard Alta Pro 263, which comes in a number of configurations, I personally use the "AB" model, which happens to be the cheapest. It has a number of neat features, such as the ability to turn the center shaft and on its side and collapse the tripod nearly to the ground, which makes it very useful for close up photography, especially specimen shots of plants. It extends to 68", which may be a little short for you, but when viewing through a viewfinder a few inches higher it shouldn't be too bad for most people. The cost of the "AB" is $130, which is quite a bargain considering the various things you can do with it and how well built it is. I've had mine for three years now and I don't have a single complaint about it, in those three years I've dragged it up mountains, through forests, dropped it many times and it is as good as new. I use it for both photography as well as for dendromorphometry. It is designed for a DSLR camera, but my TruPulse 200 is easily mounted to it, and by coincidence it is also perfect for mounting the Vortex Solo monocular, the belt clip on the monocular fits perfectly over a knob on the tripod mount, and it is surprisingly secure.

Joshua
"Be not simply good; be good for something." Henry David Thoreau

Return to “Measurement and Dendromorphometry”