FIA database and trunk volumes

General discussions of measurement techniques and the results of testing of techniques and equipment.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

FIA database and trunk volumes

Post by dbhguru » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:48 pm

Ents,

How do our climbs and reticle-based trunk volume modelings compare to what the Forest Service's statistically based allometric equations yield? We have enough modeled trees to make a pretty good comparison. The attachment shows some early results. There's a lot more coming. Despite what you see, I think that for younger trees, their equations and our models converge. In addition, a forest biometrician friend of mine has his own method of modeling, and his estimates for the pines in the Trees of Peace are often very close. So, there isn't just one way it can be done using silvicultural data.

Bob
Attachments
Vol-NTSvsFIA copy.xlsx
(22.52 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Larry Tucei

Re: FIA database and trunk volumes

Post by Larry Tucei » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:21 am

Bob- Cool stuff. I hope to get on board with this soon. I have a lot of material to contributive. Larry

DougBidlack

Post by DougBidlack » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:07 am

Bob,

have you or has anyone else done reticle-based modeling at the same time as modeling based on a climb? I'm wondering how close reticle-based modeling is to what I imagine is the current gold standard of a tree modeled after a climb.

Doug

M.W.Taylor
Site Admin

Post by M.W.Taylor » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:00 pm

Doug, Our reticle modeling using the Vortex Solo RT with the redwoods out in California has produced stellar results and very close to Sillett trunk wraps. It is imperative to make sure to take trunk readings at 90 degrees at the same height however. Even if not getting the widest and thinnest sides, a 90 degree view with relascope at intermediate points will effectively average in an ellipse of the same perimeter and area, thus the volume summations will be very close.

Michael T.

DougBidlack

Post by DougBidlack » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:46 pm

Michael,
thank you. That is very encouraging and I guess it means I'll have to part with some money!
Doug

Return to “Measurement and Dendromorphometry”