Paper on carbon sequestration in white pines

General discussions of measurement techniques and the results of testing of techniques and equipment.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

Paper on carbon sequestration in white pines

Post by dbhguru » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:23 pm

Ents,

It has been a long haul, but a scientific paper that I've been working on along with Dr. William Moomaw of Tufts University and Woods Hole Research Center and Dr. Susan Masino of Trinity College is nearing completion. It profiles the Trees of Peace in terms of the amount of carbon sequestered at 50 years of age and up until now. I used a stand of younger pines in the vicinity of the Trees of peace to estimate carbon at 50 years. Lots of variables. Jared Lockwood and Ray Asselin assisted in the measuring part.

The paper projects the amount of Carbon at the level of the individual tree and at the stand level. The paper will be submitted to Frontiers, a huge publishing company for papers across many fields.

The sheer amount of work has been daunting, but the end, for better or worse, is in sight. The paper is still a long way from publishing. It has to go through a peer review process. I presently see that as an uphill battle primarily because of the narrow focus of the paper. We'll see.

However, if I'm able to get my foot in the door, other papers will follow. I could even see a paper submitted by a number of Ents, furthering this initial analysis. It is a way of making our collective expertise pay off. People I currently have in mind include: (1) Don Bertolette, ((2) Michael Taylor, (3) John Eichholz, (4) Eric Danielsen, (5) Elijah Whitcomb, (6), Jared Lockwood, (7) Doug Bidlack, (8) Brian Beduhn, (9) Larry Tucci Jr., (10) Darian Copiz, (11) Dale Luthringer, (12) Matt Markworth, (13) Rand Brown, (14) Turner Sharp, (15) Michael Davie, (16) Zane Moore, and (17) yours truly. There would be several others within the scientific community. The total number of contributors would probably be 20 or 21.

For those interested, there is plenty of time to talk about how to approach such a collaborative affair. Just want to alert everyone to the possibility. At this point, I think I know several who would likely climb aboard. But I don't want to leave anyone out who is interested and possesses the measuring skills.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Erik Danielsen

Re: Paper on carbon sequestration in white pines

Post by Erik Danielsen » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:03 am

Bob, that's excellent news and it sounds like it's come together very quickly. I'd be very interested in the specifics of the methodology for this study in terms of data collection and analysis.

dbhguru

Re: Paper on carbon sequestration in white pines

Post by dbhguru » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:40 pm

Erik,

When I get some free time, I'll layout the study methodology. Still fiddling with the paper.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Return to “Measurement and Dendromorphometry”