LTI TruPoint 300

General discussions of measurement techniques and the results of testing of techniques and equipment.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

LTI TruPoint 300

Post by dbhguru » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:15 pm

Ents,

On Tuesday evening a package arrived from LTI containing their TruPoint 300. Here is what LTI says about the instrument.

The TruPoint 300 is the laser measurement tool that professionals worldwide want to have in their hands. This ground-breaking product is a small, lightweight and compact total station ideal for use in applications such as Crash & Crime Scene Investigation, GIS, Surveying, Construction, Electric Utilities and many more.

The TruPoint 300 total station produces survey-grade accuracy, offers onboard data storage and calculations; and costs thousands less than total stations. It measures distance, inclination and horizontal angles for X, Y, Z measurements.

The improved data collection workflow saves time and accurately captures measurements up to 300 meters.

The TruPoint 300 total station is the go-to tool for collecting the measurements you need quickly, easily, and safely. No need to carry around multiple, heavy tools anymore.

Join in the next step of the world of technology with the TruPoint 300 - the all-in-one measurement solution.

This little beauty is mine, all mine, courtesy of LTI. The instrument is a marvel of power built into a shrinking size (2.25" x 1.25", by 6.25"). So carrying it into the field will be ridiculously easy. But there is a catch. I owe them a detailed evaluation of the instrument - no small undertaking.

The specifications of the TruPoint 300 are impressive. Accuracy of the class 2 laser is +/- 1.0 mm under good conditions and 2.0mm under unfavorable conditions. Range under favorable conditions is 300 meters and 150, under unfavorable ones. The laser beam spreads to 60 mm at 100 meters (2.36 inches). The vertical and horizontal tilt sensors each have a rated accuracy of +/- 0.1 degrees. The instrument has a touch screen and a camera with a 4x zoom lens (maybe a weak link) . These are pretty impressive specifications. The instrument has many functions to test. A lot of them apply more to construction type situations as opposed to trees.

The TruPulse comes with a small stand called a smart base. It is a handy design. I also have an adapter stand that fits on a tripod that allows me to make really fine movements.

I'll share results with NTS members as I evaluate each feature. It has a hefty price tag, so I don't expect many of you to be saving your pennies, but should you, hopefully, I will be able to give you lots of useful information about the instrument's performance.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Don

Re: LTI TruPoint 300

Post by Don » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:10 am

Bob-
Sounds like one fine instrument, and if it isn't 'user vicious', it'll be a fine addition to your 'stable'. How about an image of it and it's stand/tripod arrangement?
-Don
Don Bertolette - President/Moderator, WNTS BBS
Restoration Forester (Retired)
Science Center
Grand Canyon National Park

BJCP Apprentice Beer Judge

View my Alaska Big Tree List Webpage at:
http://www.akbigtreelist.org

Erik Danielsen

Post by Erik Danielsen » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:30 am

Bob, can this instrument be used with some sort of a motor mount to automate point-cloud volume modeling? I imagine someone like Michael could rig any of these LTI lasers up for a task like that but it'd be nice to see LTI recognizing that as a feature less technically advanced users might like to have automated in such a very expensive instrument that clearly has all of the required sensors. If they've put that capability into this one, that will be a great advance for tricky tree modeling tasks.

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:11 am

Erik,

The instrument can take images and store them with the data. That said, I'm unsure of how that capability might be employed for the application you describe, but will explore the possibility. I'll be talking to LTI also to get clarification on several slightly unclear features. However, despite the features that might not have direct applicability for us, I really do like the instrument. It is incredibly compact. One feature that I did have to learn is that you have to activate the keyboard lock routine. Otherwise putting the instrument into its tight-fitting case can easily result in pressure on the fire button, turning it on and running down its battery without you knowing it.

It is apparent to me that the TruPoint 300 was not designed with forestry or tree-measuring in mind, but can perform all the necessary functions that we commonly use. However, with the exception of a simple distance shot, I think he TruPoint needs to be on its Smart Base or a tripod with leveling capability. Lots of the TruPoint's functions assume it has been leveled before invoking a measuring feature. I plan to first identify its features that allow us to perform traditional tree measurements, and maybe try to do a little better at explaining how those features work for our purposes. Lots to do. Fun, fun, fun.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:48 pm

Ents,

Evaluating the TruPoint 300 for journeyman NTS jobs has begun in earnest. The attachment shows the layout of an Excel worksheet to capture comparative measurements of trunk diameter using the LTI TPoint 300 (Yoda), calipers, the Bushnell Legend Ultra-HD 10x 42, and a D-Tape. I couldn't reach two of the targets with the calipers and D-Tape, as you can see in the attachment.

At relatively close distances, the TruPoint is performing very well. I'll soon try it at a longer distance where the clarity of the camera's image will become an issue. Note that in a strict sense, the most comparable results are for Yoda, the Bushnell, and the calipers, all of which are measuring width. The D-Tape is computing the diameter associated with the girth measurement. For trunks that are out of round, we're getting a kind of average diameter, not necessarily the width from the measurers view.

Bob
Attachments
Yoda vs Others.png
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

Karlheinz

Post by Karlheinz » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:59 pm

Hallo Bob,
Class 2 lasers operate in the visible light range. Does the TruPoint 300 emit a red measuring beam that you can see?

The technical data seems familiar to me, it reminds me of the red laser of my Leica Disto D8. See here my report in the Bulletin of the Eastern Native Tree Society, Volume 9: https://www.nativetreesociety.org/bulle ... _01&02.pdf.
Since April 2014 Leica offers the successor model DISTO D810 touch, which is sold in Europe from 600 €, here is the link to the manual of the DISTO D810 touch: https://lasers.leica-geosystems.com/eu/ ... 3_en_0.pdf

Could it be that TruPoint 300 is identical in construction to Leica DISTO D810 touch ?

The problem with the red class 2 laser of the Disto D8 is to capture a reflection from the tree top. This no longer worked with large trees in bright daylight. This was due to the low laser power as well as the difficulty to target accurately. At dusk, however, precise measurements often came. In order to achieve better results, I would have needed further equipment to observe the red laser beam in the target area, mounted on the tripod parallel to the laser: a telescope during the day and a bright headlight at night. But this effort was too much for me.

But if the developers have now succeeded in improving the sensitivity of the measuring system, the TruPoint 300 could be a very precise tree height measuring device. Whether the TruPoint 300 is suitable as a universal tree height measuring device depends on this question: Does point measurement succeed at daylight to a high tree top over a measuring distance of 50 ... 100 m?

Bob, you have had this device for more than two months now, please give us a short interim report on this point!

Greetings
Karlheinz

Karlheinz

Post by Karlheinz » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:18 am

"Leica DISTO D810 touch" and "LTI TruPoint 300" - identical in construction?
Attachments
Leica DISTO D810 touch.jpg
LTI TruPoint 300.jpg
LTI TruPoint 300.jpg (24.79 KiB) Viewed 597 times

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:13 pm

Hi Karlheinz,

Good to hear from you, and glad that you are experienced with the Leica. Lots to talk about.

The TruPoint operates in the visible spectrum (red beam). A forest biometrician friend of mine owns a Leica Disto 8. Our instruments are similar with bells and whistles added in the TP 300. For example, the TP has a built-in compass. I don't recall my friend's Leica having one. I expect the TP 300 and the Disto D810 are the same. I'll look at the specs. Considering the similarity in instrument functionality design, LTI may have partnered with Leica on these instruments. Not sure.

Most of my experiments have been conducted in moderate to low light levels and within a distance of 35 meters. So, I have a long, long way to go. LTI provides a special stand for the TP 300 that allows for micro-adjustments. I like it, but there is a problem with getting the TP positioned exactly right in its cradle. I'm conferring with LTI on the situation.

I've been so preoccupied with the carbon paper that I've been coauthoring with Dr. William Moomaw that I've been working with the TP only in spurts. Nonetheless, my current assessment (subject to change) is that there TP functions most effectively as a construction instrument as opposed to a tree-measuring one. Based on what I've done so far, the area of greatest utility for trees is with trunk-based measurements. The TP's trunk routine allows me to duplicate what my laser and monocular with range finding reticle does so well. On a recent test, results have been comparable among the TP, calipers, and reticle, with the calipers being treated as the gold standard.

So far, I'm satisfied with the TP's accuracy for diameters on straight trunks. You cannot measure a leaning trunk since the camera alignment lines work only in the vertical plane. I'll illustrate with images in a future post.

Interestingly, the LTI iPhone app that works with the TruePulse 360 allowing for remote triggering does not work with the TruPoint 300. I hope LTI will have an app out soon that will allow remote triggering of the TP. That capability is needed badly.

One feature that I've been testing that involves the laser, tilt sensor, and compass is what I'm currently calling the dihedral angle measuring routine. Below is an Excel worksheet extract showing the testing setup.
Screen Shot 2018-12-18 at 4.09.31 PM.png
My initial tests show a lot of variation in the dihedral angle.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:57 am

Karlheinz,

I took a look at the manual. Yes, the Leica DISTO D810 and LTI TruPoint 300 are the same instrument.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

Karlheinz

Post by Karlheinz » Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:02 am

Actually, it will be the Disto S910.
How I was able to overcome the difficulties of measuring tall trees with a red laser instrument and get very accurate results, I described here:
http://www.ents-bbs.org/viewtopic.php?f=235&t=4987

Return to “Measurement and Dendromorphometry”