Impuse versus TruPulse

General discussions of measurement techniques and the results of testing of techniques and equipment.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

Impuse versus TruPulse

Post by dbhguru » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:40 pm

Hi Ents,

For any of you who haven't taken Michael up on his offer on the Impulse 200LR, I strongly encourage you to do so. It is worth every penny and more. Bargain of the decade.

I've now ran a dozen tests on the Impulse (named Sasquatch) and it performs beautifully. I measured a white pine in the back lot with my TruPulse 200X at 138.9 feet. It took a lot of shots for me to fee comfort able with the result. I got 139.0 feet with the Impulse with a lot less work. For close in targets, the instruments are virtually indistinguisable in terms of results, but I think this changes with distance. Can't wait to get back to MTSF and measure with Sasquatch the 176-ft (according to Sparky) white pine named after the Mohawk chief Jake Swamp.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

M.W.Taylor
Site Admin

Re: Impuse versus TruPulse

Post by M.W.Taylor » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:40 pm

dbhguru wrote:Hi Ents,

For any of you who haven't taken Michael up on his offer on the Impulse 200LR, I strongly encourage you to do so. It is worth every penny and more. Bargain of the decade.

I've now ran a dozen tests on the Impulse (named Sasquatch) and it performs beautifully. I measured a white pine in the back lot with my TruPulse 200X at 138.9 feet. It took a lot of shots for me to fee comfort able with the result. I got 139.0 feet with the Impulse with a lot less work. For close in targets, the instruments are virtually indistinguisable in terms of results, but I think this changes with distance. Can't wait to get back to MTSF and measure with Sasquatch the 176-ft (according to Sparky) white pine named after the Mohawk chief Jake Swamp.

Bob

Bob, Thanks for posting these results.

Those low cost Impulse200LRs with accessories on ebay will not be around long. The Impulse200LR was $3,750 when new. The L bracket and data cable together are $200 new. As an ENTS member, you get all three items for the super low price of $175. This is a very high quality laser. I consider it the "Cadillac" of forestry lasers.

DougMiller

Post by DougMiller » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:33 pm

Michael,
Are the units on eBay? I’m interested in having one to show students and compare to our TruPulses here at Penn State.
Doug Miller

DougMiller

Post by DougMiller » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:42 pm

Michael,
Are the units on eBay? I’m interested in having one to show students and compare to our TruPulses here at Penn State.
Doug Miller

DougMiller

Post by DougMiller » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:55 pm

Michael,
Doug Miller

M.W.Taylor
Site Admin

Post by M.W.Taylor » Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:03 pm

DougMiller wrote:Michael,
Doug Miller
Doug, There are a few left. Just state ENTS handle and offer $175 to get the $125 discount. I will upgrade the data cable to include a remote trigger button for $10 ($5 for button and $5 for shipping) if any ENTS member wants to send me their data cable. I will also check and align scope and calibrate the laser for ENTS members at no charge.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Laser-Technolo ... Sw6jBbgeN6

Return to “Measurement and Dendromorphometry”