Manual For Laser Technology Impulse 200LR

General discussions of measurement techniques and the results of testing of techniques and equipment.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Erik Danielsen

Re: Manual For Laser Technology Impulse 200LR

Post by Erik Danielsen » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:18 pm

The Criterion has a reticled scope? Here I've been thinking "if these companies really wanted to cater to tree measurers they'd put a reticle in the scope"... and it even calculated diameters? I hadn't even thought that far! Why'd they drop this feature?

I'd even been contemplating whether there would be a practical way to swap the 200LR scope with the vortex solo, since there are threads on replacing it with rifle scopes. It's nice to have the versatility of the vortex on its own, but it's such a tempting concept.

M.W.Taylor
Site Admin

Re: Manual For Laser Technology Impulse 200LR

Post by M.W.Taylor » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:55 am

Erik Danielsen wrote:The Criterion has a reticled scope? Here I've been thinking "if these companies really wanted to cater to tree measurers they'd put a reticle in the scope"... and it even calculated diameters? I hadn't even thought that far! Why'd they drop this feature?

I'd even been contemplating whether there would be a practical way to swap the 200LR scope with the vortex solo, since there are threads on replacing it with rifle scopes. It's nice to have the versatility of the vortex on its own, but it's such a tempting concept.

Erik, I am working on mounting a Vortex on one of my Impulse200LRs. It has those handy bolt threads that attach to the belt clip. My idea is to replace the belt clip with an L bracket, which is in turn attached to a windage and elevation adjustable mount.

See this item on ebay. That mount is almost exactly what I am looking for:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Laser-Hun ... 0290.m3507

Except the mount is weaver type, not 11mm as what is on the Impulse200LR. It might not attach securely and would be offset in the direction of the tightening screw. You could use an 11m to weaver adapter but then this thing would sit very high on the Impulse, maybe almost 4 inches to scope center. That is not a good thing.

One idea I was thinking is to put a slot in the L bracket for windage and bend the aluminum L bracket up or down for elevation. Once the proper position is determined with crosshair of Vortex hitting tree top, use JB plastic putty (generous amounts of it) to secure tightly. Might need to make JB plastic putty supports fill in gaps between Vortex and L bracket and L bracket to 11mm adapter to keep L bracket from flexing relative to the Vortex and 11mm adapter plate. Once mounted properly, the Vortex should not move around at all unless hit hard. In that event, just scrape JB plastic weld away and re-apply. This type of mount would have a much lower profile. I bought some aluminum bar stock at Ace hardware to do this. Would need to drill and tap that 11mm weaver plate though so be careful to not allow the drill bit to penetrate into the electronics. Should probably remove it prior to drilling so metal shavings don't go into the unit and short it out.

And one last thing. The Vortex crosshair center is offset when using in normal orientation. But when flipped on it's side with the clip facing down, the crosshair centers up nicely in the left to right direction. The #'s are of course sideways, but still easy to read. This would be the orientation the Vortex would be mounted to the L bracket (which is secured to the 11mm platform adapter).

If you don't mind drilling holes in your belt clip, you could use that instead of an L bracket. As long as you have enough JB weld plastic putty in there it should be very strong, with the belt clip/plastic weld being a composite structure. Make sure to really tighten down those bolts and the belt clip end. Maybe use some Loctite.

Return to “Measurement and Dendromorphometry”