Laser Technology Height Subroutine. The Best Way To Use It.

General discussions of measurement techniques and the results of testing of techniques and equipment.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

Re: Laser Technology Height Subroutine. The Best Way To Use

Post by dbhguru » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:42 pm

Eric,

I have plenty of trees to shoot right behind my house. Four exceed 130 feet in height and all the large ones exceed 100 feet. Crown shapes vary. I think I'm going to set up an experiment to shoot a dozen or so trees by Michael's method and see how close I can come to the pure sine-based height. I'll track the time it takes me with each method. Should be fun.

As we become more proficient in measuring trees a lot of what goes into the process becomes more and more automatic. After awhile we forget what we had to go through as a learning process that a newby must face with little assurance that things will go right until a lot of experience has been gained.

We should talk about the obstacles to getting it right and always be mindful of the underlying mathematical model. If that can't be explained, there is no assurance that the technique is sound.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

M.W.Taylor
Site Admin

Re: Laser Technology Height Subroutine. The Best Way To Use

Post by M.W.Taylor » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:39 pm

Bob, I look forward to hearing your results on revamping the Ht-Subroutine. Michael

Return to “Measurement and Dendromorphometry”