Trunk Taper Equations

General discussions of measurement techniques and the results of testing of techniques and equipment.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

Trunk Taper Equations

Post by dbhguru » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:49 pm

Ents,

Here's a topic that isn't going to excite many folks: trunk taper equations. However, the topic becomes more important when we get seriously involved in volume modeling. Erik has been taking the lead and pushing the envelope, as it were. If we're going to model many trees to include limbs, we need to develop shortcuts to avoid feeling that we have to model every branch. We also need to check on our assumptions about trunk and limb form. I'm often derelict in testing my assumptions about which parts of a trunk can best be modeled by a paraboloid, cone, or neiloid form. The longer the frustum, the greater the impact a chosen form has.

One way to check our assumption about the form of a frustum is to use taper equations that allow us to compute the predicted trunk or limb radius at any point of the frustum based on whether we chose a paraboloid, cone, or neiloid. The attachment addresses the challenge.

Bob
Attachments
RadiiForDifferentFrustumForms.xlsx
(146.45 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Larry Tucei

Re: Trunk Taper Equations

Post by Larry Tucei » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:26 am

Bob- Another amazing chart that you developed. I'll be putting it to use as well as the Limb, Volume formulas you created on some of the big Live Oaks. It will take some time to do one but the results with be well worth the effort. Larry

Return to “Measurement and Dendromorphometry”