Use of reticle for measuring limb length

General discussions of measurement techniques and the results of testing of techniques and equipment.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#1)  Use of reticle for measuring limb length

Postby dbhguru » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:00 pm

Ents,

Our intrepid New York A-Team of Erik Danielsen and Elijah Whitcomb backed up by honorary New Yorker Jared Lockwood are turning reticle measurements into a serious occupation. Courtesy of Erik's interest in the Leolyn site, we may get our first RVI (Rucker Volume Index) before too many weeks, and Elijah is zeroing in on a super sugar maple with intentions to go beyond to other big hardwoods.

We've heretofore spent most of our time modeling conifers with straight trunks. Hardwoods modeled to date have mostly been special projects by expert teams involving Will Blozan, Bob Van pelt, Steve Sillett, etc. Adding hardwoods to the regular mix will up the amount of effort required to get good volume estimates. Modeling limbs at any orientation to the measurer will be necessary. The attachment offers a way of doing that. The computational algorithm has been amply tested, but in more or less ideal conditions, where it works. But the amount of effort needed to apply it in the field remains to be seen. Enter Erik, Elijah, and Jared. Until warmer weather, I'll watch from the sidelines.

Bob
Attachments
LimbVol-Diagonal Reticle Method2(2-5-2018) copy.xlsx
(83.59 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and Executive Director
Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
dbhguru

Has Liked: 4 times
Has Been Liked: 1091 times
Print view this post

#2)  Re: Use of reticle for measuring limb length

Postby Larry Tucei » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:16 pm

Bob, all -  What is the Reticle you are using or what would the best one be to purchase. I have been wanting to do some volume measuring on the larger Loblollies and Live Oaks. Bob I answered my own question I see it on your Formula which is way awesome! Hey Bob just ordered the Vortex Solo R/T Tactical. It should be here next week. Can't wait to use your Formula.  Larry
Larry Tucei

Has Liked: 720 times
Has Been Liked: 596 times
Print view this post

#3)  Re: Use of reticle for measuring limb length

Postby dbhguru » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:18 pm

Larry,

Super, when you get the reticle, let's talk on the phone. You should start simple. Measure diameters at eye level on trees only a short distance away that you can measure with a d-Tape, or better yet, calipers.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and Executive Director
Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
dbhguru

Has Liked: 4 times
Has Been Liked: 1091 times
Print view this post

#4)  Re: Use of reticle for measuring limb length

Postby Don » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:34 pm

Larry-
Shorter distances away will probably be taken accurately by a hand held reticled monocular.  For longer distances, I'd recommend a lightweight tripod. To make use of the Solo with clip, I'm attaching an image of mine, which I drilled a hole in the clip at the far bend, and used JB Weld ('liquid steel' in a tube) to attach a weld nut (used by auto body shops to weld the 'nut' to whatever body part needed "pulling").
Total cost of parts and materials?  Less than $5...less than a dollar for the weld nut, less than three dollars for the JB Weld, and I added an end cap (from hunting scope internet site) to keep the end lens free of lint, dust, duff (I'm prone to pocketing my reticled monocular).
-Don

IMG_7653 (1).jpg

Tripod is a SunPak 7000...lightweight carbon fiber legs, $40 (can be had with pistol grip ball-head)

Don Bertolette - President/Moderator, WNTS BBS
Restoration Forester (Retired)
Science Center
Grand Canyon National Park

BJCP Apprentice Beer Judge

View my Alaska Big Tree List Webpage at:
http://www.akbigtreelist.org
Don

Has Liked: 70 times
Has Been Liked: 231 times
Print view this post

#5)  Re: Use of reticle for measuring limb length

Postby Erik Danielsen » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:54 am

I have relatively shaky hands and so I haven't had any luck without a tripod. I've been using a mini-tripod that has a clamp you can secure to poles or trees- instead I use it to clamp onto the reticle, then mount the mini tripod to the main tripod. I'd really like to whip up something like Don's photo at some point, though. In a pinch I've held the reticle on top of my tripod-mounted rangefinder but anything less secure than that I have trouble reading accurately.
Erik Danielsen

Has Liked: 248 times
Has Been Liked: 321 times
Print view this post

#6)  Re: Use of reticle for measuring limb length

Postby Larry Tucei » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:48 am

Bob- Ok thanks will do. Don- Your application is awesome because I was wondering how to fasten it to my Tripod. If that clip can come off I can weld a piece of stainless with a taped hole on it like you have done fitting it to a Tripod. If not I have some 5 min epoxy that will do the job. Thanks you guys!!!
Larry Tucei

Has Liked: 720 times
Has Been Liked: 596 times
Print view this post

#7)  Re: Use of reticle for measuring limb length

Postby Don » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:35 pm

Larry-
By the way, if you drill through the clip in your mod, be sure to use a high carbon or better drill bit...the steel used in the clip wore out a few of my drill bits!
Don
Don Bertolette - President/Moderator, WNTS BBS
Restoration Forester (Retired)
Science Center
Grand Canyon National Park

BJCP Apprentice Beer Judge

View my Alaska Big Tree List Webpage at:
http://www.akbigtreelist.org

For this message the author Don has received Likes :
Larry Tucei
Don

Has Liked: 70 times