LiDAR Coverage for the Eastern USA

General discussions of measurement techniques and the results of testing of techniques and equipment.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#31)  Re: LiDAR Coverage for the Eastern USA

Postby M.W.Taylor » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:51 am

You can find the same Tennessee LiDAR broken up in to tiles on at least two sites that I know about. The National Map and EarthExplorer

https://viewer.nationalmap.gov/basic/#productSearch
https://earthexplorer.usgs.gov/

For EarthExplorer you need to set up an account but it is free to use.  For the National Map you do not need any registration.  

To get the LIDAR from The National Map, use the mouse and mouse wheel to zoom in on the area of interest. Select under the Data header on the left and side by clicking the small box that says "Elevation Source Data (3DEP) ".  Then click the "Find Products" button. The table on the left hand side will then show  all the LiDAR maps available for that area. Be sure to zoom in to the specific area otherwise it will show all the maps on the screen for the entire map browser, which is a lot of maps if you have the entire state of Tennessee in view.  

For EarthExplorer , first register. Then zoom in on the area of interest and then select under the "Data Sets" tab....Click the Radar Box and then sub category "LiDAR". Then click on the Search Criteria tab to select the area you want to download LiDAR data for (they can either be in .las or compress .las which is called .laz. Then click on "Results" button to show available maps for that area.  Most point cloud programs can decode .laz. If you have a good internet connection I would just download the uncompressed .las files so you do not need to decode them before processing.  Hope this helps.  Michael T.

mdavie wrote:This is great Michael- for whoever is interested, Tennessee has apparently flown a lot of the state and the data is available ( https://www.tn.gov/content/tn/finance/s ... n.html#map), but a lot of it appears to be in large downloads, I'm not sure how to sort through to find the smaller sites within a large area. Hopefully I can still remember how to batch process files, it's been a few years! It's not exactly clear but I think Shelby County was flown, which has Meeman Shelby Forest, a Mississippi floodplain forest, Savage Gulf and Fall Creek Falls and the whole Cumberland Plateau region, and all of the mountains of East Tennessee, which is awesome.
It looks like all of Van Buren and Sequatchie counties are in one big-ass folder and you've got to download all of it? It's a bit much to have to download an entire county at a time, let alone two! I don't know how to geolocate tiles and pull out the info after you've downloaded 50GB of data, anyone have any tips on that? I'm looking at you, Michael...
M.W.Taylor

Has Liked: 35 times
Has Been Liked: 369 times
Print view this post

#32)  Re: LiDAR Coverage for the Eastern USA

Postby Tyler » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:14 am

Michael,

Could you look at some individual tiles from Congaree NP for me?

The coordinates associated with them are:

33 47' 11''N  080 47' 39''W       Should have a tall grove of trees >140' toward the bottom of the tile

33 48' 13''N  080 49' 36''W       Part of Boggy Gut, a known big/tall tree hotspot

33 48' 03"N  080 50' 23'W        

33 47' 48''N  080 50' 06"W

33 48' 04''N  080 51' 09''W

Thanks,

Tyler
Tyler

Has Liked: 114 times
Has Been Liked: 153 times
Print view this post

#33)  Re: LiDAR Coverage for the Eastern USA

Postby M.W.Taylor » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:03 pm

Tyler, Tallest I found in those 5 zones is around 155'. I am now going to post height banded images in the South Carolina section.
M.W.Taylor

Print view this post

#34)  Re: LiDAR Coverage for the Eastern USA

Postby Tyler » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:12 am

Michael,

Thanks for those.

These two have some of the tallest pines in the park. Just curious as to how the lidar looks on these two tiles.

Lat 33 49' 42''N  Lon 080 48' 48''W

Lat 33 49' 13''N  Lon 080 48' 50''W

Thanks,

Tyler
Tyler

Has Liked: 114 times
Has Been Liked: 153 times
Print view this post

#35)  Re: LiDAR Coverage for the Eastern USA

Postby John Harvey » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:25 pm

Michael,
 Thank you for doing all this. It's been a lot of fun seeing what you have come up with in people's suggestions. There is an area I was curious about in New Jersey if you have the chance, not too far from Tatum Park where you had found the potential 160' tulip before. It is called Old Bridge County Park. I suspect there may be some tall tulip on here but I'm not sure. There is also a lot of forest surrounding the park that may be of a similar age.
 40°22'10.86"N  74°20'12.13"W

Thanks!
John D Harvey (JohnnyDJersey)

East Coast and West Coast Big Tree Hunter

"If you look closely at a tree you'll notice it's knots and dead branches, just like our bodies. What we learn is that beauty and imperfection go together wonderfully." - Matt Fox
John Harvey

Has Liked: 354 times
Has Been Liked: 433 times
Print view this post

#36)  Re: LiDAR Coverage for the Eastern USA

Postby M.W.Taylor » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:13 pm

Just downloaded and now processing that area. Will post soon.

George Fieo wrote:Michael,

Wow!!! If u have the time I would love to see the lidar data for Patapsco Valley State Park in Maryland from Rt 144 south to I 95. Also Rock Creek and Rock Creek Regional parks in Washington DC. Thanks.

George
M.W.Taylor

Print view this post

#37)  Re: LiDAR Coverage for the Eastern USA

Postby M.W.Taylor » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:15 pm

Just downloaded and now processing.

Tyler wrote:Michael,

It's inside of the jocassee gorges area.

overview13.gif

Hope this helps. Looking forward to the results.

Tyler
M.W.Taylor

Print view this post

#38)  Re: LiDAR Coverage for the Eastern USA

Postby M.W.Taylor » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:17 pm

I the LIDAR for this area on EarthExplorer. Meeman Sheldy Forest has 50 tiles alone to process !

mdavie wrote:This is great Michael- for whoever is interested, Tennessee has apparently flown a lot of the state and the data is available ( https://www.tn.gov/content/tn/finance/s ... n.html#map), but a lot of it appears to be in large downloads, I'm not sure how to sort through to find the smaller sites within a large area. Hopefully I can still remember how to batch process files, it's been a few years! It's not exactly clear but I think Shelby County was flown, which has Meeman Shelby Forest, a Mississippi floodplain forest, Savage Gulf and Fall Creek Falls and the whole Cumberland Plateau region, and all of the mountains of East Tennessee, which is awesome.
It looks like all of Van Buren and Sequatchie counties are in one big-ass folder and you've got to download all of it? It's a bit much to have to download an entire county at a time, let alone two! I don't know how to geolocate tiles and pull out the info after you've downloaded 50GB of data, anyone have any tips on that? I'm looking at you, Michael...
M.W.Taylor

Print view this post

#39)  Re: LiDAR Coverage for the Eastern USA

Postby George Fieo » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:45 am

M.W.Taylor wrote:Just downloaded and now processing that area. Will post soon.

George Fieo wrote:Michael,

Wow!!! If u have the time I would love to see the lidar data for Patapsco Valley State Park in Maryland from Rt 144 south to I 95. Also Rock Creek and Rock Creek Regional parks in Washington DC. Thanks.

George

Thanks Michael,

Your generosity is much appreciated. I'm currently on vacation until after the New Year and will have several days to checkout Patapsco Valley State Park.

George
George Fieo

Has Liked: 0 times
Has Been Liked: 110 times
Print view this post

#40)  Re: LiDAR Coverage for the Eastern USA

Postby M.W.Taylor » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:01 pm

I tried to process Patapsco Valley State Park and rolled snake eyes. The LiDAR is missing crown data and basically 2-dimenstional.  The only LiDAR set I could find for that area is from 2004 and of the lowest resolution I've seen. Will have to wait until higher resolution LiDAR comes out. Sorry I could not help you on this. Attached is the map of the area I downloaded LiDAR for and the name of the LiDAR files from the original source.

2004 MD DNR LiDAR Anne Arundel, Charles Howard & Marys Counties
Attachments
request.jpg
2004 MD DNR LiDAR Anne Arundel, Charles Howard & Marys Counties
M.W.Taylor

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Measurement and Dendromorphometry