Reticle Testing

General discussions of measurement techniques and the results of testing of techniques and equipment.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Larry Tucei

Re: Reticle Testing

Post by Larry Tucei » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:10 pm

Don- Being both a Game Hunter and a Tree Hunter I can say that I hunted game for the challenge of man against animal and enjoy the Venison. Human senses are nothing compared to an Animal. Before technology came alone Hunting big Game was much more difficult than today. Through my many visits in Forests hunting I became super aware of the Trees, Plants, Rivers, Creeks, and Animal relations to the ecosystems- they all have a role. When I began Tree Hunting my love and passion for exploring and Nature kicked in -the rest is history. The Forest is so peaceful and my place to re-energize. I may have to start working out again my tree equipment backpack is getting heavier each year- Bob Larry

Don

Post by Don » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:23 pm

Larry-
I too have firearms (ranging from 4-10 to 12 Gauge Magnum slug shotguns; .17 pellet gun to .45 caliber Colt Revolver; and others), enjoy wild game meat, and revere the hunting tradition handed down father to son/daughter that embraces the value of the environment that sustains the game for generations to come.
But I can't embrace trophy hunters, who don't respect their impact on the environment, on the species they harvest only the most superlative, just to get into record books.
I did put forth the comparison of big tree hunters to trophy hunters to elicit comments like yours. Well stated!
-Don
Don Bertolette - President/Moderator, WNTS BBS
Restoration Forester (Retired)
Science Center
Grand Canyon National Park

BJCP Apprentice Beer Judge

View my Alaska Big Tree List Webpage at:
http://www.akbigtreelist.org

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:54 am

Larry, Don, et. al.,

I was a hunter in the past and do not find any fault with hunting for food supplementing. I continue to enjoy wild game meat. I, like you, Don, was talking strictly about trophy hunters.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:16 pm

Ents,

The number of NTS and Cadre members that have bought reticle-based monoculars is growing. So, the challenge is on for us is to find more uses for reticle measurements and apply the right methods. Presently, we have 8 methods. The temptation will be to apply the standard method of (M x D)/F, where M is the reticle reading, D is the distance to the target, and F is the manufacturer's factor. This simple formula is tempting to use without giving the problem at hand much thought. The attachment illustrates what happens when the wrong method is chosen.

Bob
Attachments
TrapezoidDiagonal-2Test-1.xlsx
(883.34 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Return to “Measurement and Dendromorphometry”