Hand Lenses for Dendromorphometrists

General discussions of measurement techniques and the results of testing of techniques and equipment.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#1)  Hand Lenses for Dendromorphometrists

Postby edfrank » Sun May 23, 2010 11:53 pm

ENTS,

While cleaning the garage a couple days ago I found my long lost hand lens.  It was a vital piece of equipment for me as a geology student and as a geologist, and it has similar useful applications for people involved with biology and tree research.  I am not talking about the old fashioned magnifying glass, but a hand lens.

816171Hastings10xB.jpg

816171Hastings10xB.jpg (14.69 KiB) Viewed 1925 times

The photo above shows a typical hand lens.  This is an example is a hastings triplet 10x magnifier.  It is one of several types of similar design.  According to Ben Meadows:  
Hastings Triplet - Highly corrected magnifiers feature three separate optical glass lenses bonded together to form a compound lens. Provide a sharp, distinct image especially around the edges of viewing area. Also give high color correction. Plastic mount swing-away, nickel-plated case protects lenses and serves as a handle.  $41.90 http://www.benmeadows.com/search/magnifier/20693/

Coddington Magnifiers - Single-thick lens of optical glass with a central groove diaphragm provides high correction and produces a sharp image  http://www.benmeadows.com/store/Laboratory_Products/Laboratory_Equipment/Microscopes_and_Magnifiers/20695/  $23.55

Doublet Loupe Magnifier - Glass lens mounted in nickel-plated case which slides into nickel-plated brass body for safe storage. $9.30 http://www.benmeadows.com/search/hand+lens/20694/103184/?isredirect=true

My model is a Hastings Triplet 10x made by another company many years ago.  It is the most expensive of these types, but you pay for the quality you get.  For looking at details on leaves or tree rings any of these models should be adequate and would be a useful tool to have.  

If you look at the descriptions of many tree species the text describes the presence or absence of hairs on part of the leaf, glands on the leaves, tiny details of buds, various features of leaves, or flowers, most of which are hard to see unless you have perfect vision.  Tree rings when tightly packed are difficult to distinguish.  These simple hand lenses will let you see these fine details easily in the field.

They are small and can be carried on a loop or lanyard around your neck so that they are always ready for use, or stuffed into a pocket.  Most are smaller than a nickel in diameter and perhaps a half an inch thick.  

Kooter's Geology Tools page describes "How to Use A Hand Lens" and pretty much has it right on the money:
A hand lens is optically related to a microscope.  So just like a microscope, your eye should be close to one side of the lens and the object will be close to the other side of the lens.  With a little practice you will get the hang of manipulating the object and hand lens to get things into focus. We have seen people use a hand lens like a reading glass magnifier, with the hand lens held away from the body.  It works up to a point, but you won't see the same thing as you would by using it properly.  The main problem with using a hand lens is getting the right light on the object.  In bright sunlight you will have to maneuver around to find a position where the object is not in your own shade or the shade of your hat, but the bright sun is not shining into your eyes and making it difficult to see.
http://www.kooters.com/sezlens.html

As for what magnification to get - 10x is a good all around option.  It gives a good magnification but still has a workable depth of field.  Those with stronger magnification have shallower depth of field that is in focus and require more light to see your subject well.  For many applications 7x would also be acceptable, it has less magnification, but greater depth of field.  So it is also a viable option.

Since you are looking through the lens when close to your eye, you need one big enough to easily see through, but it does not really need to be any bigger than that.  The extra size doesn't gain you anything.  For most uses a diameter of 13 mm to 18 mm is about right.  If you look at the photo above the hand lens has two parts.  The first is a lens mount of plastic, brass, or steel that holds the lens in a a short tube for viewing.  This is mounted on a pivot that lets it spin around into a metal casing that protects it from damage and scratching when not in use.  This is the style that tens of years of field work by innumerable people have found to be the best for field use.

I would encourage each of you to purchase one for use in the field.  Remember that you can also use it to look at other things besides leaves while in the woods.

Ed Frank
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky
edfrank
Site Admin

{ IMAGES }: 0
Has Liked: 915 times
Has Been Liked: 698 times
Blog: View Blog (3)
Print view this post

#2)  Re: Hand Lenses for Dendromorphometrists

Postby James Parton » Sun May 23, 2010 11:59 pm

Ed,

I have a small simple magnifying glass that I use in the field. One of these would be much better. I have a friend who had one like yours or very similar to it.

James
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145
James Parton

Has Liked: 338 times
Has Been Liked: 98 times
Print view this post

#3)  Re: Hand Lenses for Dendromorphometrists

Postby Don » Mon May 24, 2010 1:51 am

James/Ed-
The one I got for Dendrology 101 was a pair of lenses that worked individually and combined to give you three different powers of magnification...unlike you Ed, it's been years since I can recall it's location!
Don Bertolette - President/Moderator, WNTS BBS
Restoration Forester (Retired)
Science Center
Grand Canyon National Park

BJCP Apprentice Beer Judge

View my Alaska Big Tree List Webpage at:
http://www.akbigtreelist.org
Don

Has Liked: 65 times
Has Been Liked: 221 times
Print view this post

#4)  Re: Hand Lenses for Dendromorphometrists

Postby johnofthetrees » Mon May 31, 2010 11:48 am

Ed,

I might also add they are good for checking ticks, splinters, thorns and other medical issues in the field.  The interesting thing about magnifiers is that they work without glasses, for those that use them.  By moving the lens, you can place the focal point at the correct location for your vision.  I use a "Peak lupe 10x", about $20,

PK1961.jpg

PK1961.jpg (24.23 KiB) Viewed 1901 times

(http://www.adorama.com/Als/ProductPage/PK1961.html) which has a removable clear collar so you can get close to an irregular object, but have a correct distance from a map etc. when laying on a flat surface.

John

For this message the author johnofthetrees has received Likes :
edfrank
johnofthetrees

Has Liked: 0 times
Has Been Liked: 8 times
Print view this post

#5)  Re: Hand Lenses for Dendromorphometrists

Postby Matt Markworth » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:36 pm

I wonder if the ubiquitous smartphone camera has replaced the hand lens in classroom settings. Surely the camera isn't as sharp. Here's a screenshot of the free "Glasses" magnifier app on an IPhone. The image is walnut wood grain (with IPhone flash providing the light source).

IMG_5592.PNG

Matt
Matt Markworth

Has Liked: 1060 times
Has Been Liked: 811 times
Print view this post

Return to Measurement and Dendromorphometry