Has anyone ever used a Fujifilm FinePix XP 85 camera?

General discussions of measurement techniques and the results of testing of techniques and equipment.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

PAwildernessadvocate

Re: Has anyone ever used a Fujifilm FinePix XP 85 camera?

Post by PAwildernessadvocate » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:50 pm

I did go ahead and buy the FujiFilm FinePix XP 85 camera. I have had it out in the woods twice now, I think it will perform fine for my purposes in general. Here's two shots I have taken with it so far, one in sunny conditions and one in overcast conditions. What do you guys think?
DSCF0022.JPG
DSCF0054.JPG
"There is no better way to save biodiversity than by preserving habitat, and no better habitat, species for species, than wilderness." --Edward O. Wilson

Erik Danielsen

Post by Erik Danielsen » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:42 pm

Looks fine for posting to the BBS, I do think you'd find yourself quite disappointed making prints though, even 8x10. The lens is very blurry in the corners (even in the sunny shot, where that should be minimal) and the processing chip is smoothing away most of the detail in the overcast shot in an effort to hide sensor noise. If you think web images will be the priority after all, then it's certainly got an attractive size and ruggedness, but if prints are still a priority I'd be checking the return period if I were you.

I'll admit though that my main thought was "I really miss hemlock forests..."

Don

Post by Don » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:30 pm

In its defense, the forest shot (which turned itself right-side up when clicked on) zoomed in once with reasonable sharpness (excepting corners as Erik notes), especially in view of the difficult lighting situation. We found ours a handy size, and are looking forward to utilizing its GPS and its WiFi image transmission capabilities. Does a lot for the money, and good underwater!!!
-Don
Don Bertolette - President/Moderator, WNTS BBS
Restoration Forester (Retired)
Science Center
Grand Canyon National Park

BJCP Apprentice Beer Judge

View my Alaska Big Tree List Webpage at:
http://www.akbigtreelist.org

PAwildernessadvocate

Post by PAwildernessadvocate » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:58 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys. Yeah, the fisheye effect in the corners drives me up the wall, but at least I can probably always crop the worst of that out if I ever need to reproduce a shot for a print or something.

If I really want to get serious about photography primarily for the sake of photography, the Pentax idea, or something comparable, sounds like the way to go!

Will be fun to use this one underwater sometime, I'll try to make a point of doing that this summer. Maybe in the Allegheny River.
"There is no better way to save biodiversity than by preserving habitat, and no better habitat, species for species, than wilderness." --Edward O. Wilson

Return to “Measurement and Dendromorphometry”