Recommended tools?

General discussions of measurement techniques and the results of testing of techniques and equipment.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

DAKennedy

Recommended tools?

Post by DAKennedy » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:21 pm

Hello NTS-ers,

I have a small question. Since all of you have more experience with tree measuring, I would like to ask for recommendations as to your favorite low to mid price range rangefinder, monocular-reticle, densitometer and hypsometer. This stems from me wanting to take the National Cadre class (assuming that there aren't any age restrictions on membership(I'm 13)), and so wanting to know what the right tools are.
Cheers,

- Duncan
Duncan Kennedy
Student, University of Nevada - Reno; Biotech dept.
Tree Measurer.
http://sierracountybigtrees.wordpress.com/

bbeduhn

Re: Recommended tools?

Post by bbeduhn » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:38 pm

Duncan,
The best all around inexpensive rangefinder is the Nikon 440. It hasn't been in production for years but can often be found on E-Bay or other sites. It has a quality laser and does extremely well at penetrating brush. I just got a Nikon Riflehunter, which shows tenth of a yard or meter increments, works in low light and shoots down to 9 yards. If you need one to get you going, I have a Nikon basic 550, which does well in the crown but doesn't do so well through brush. The display is quite small as well but you can have it if you'd like.

Check out some comparisons on this site, under Measurement and Dendromophometry.
Brian

Will Blozan

Post by Will Blozan » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:38 am

As for a reticled monocular, the R/T Tactical Solo is the bomb! You will need a tripod to use it.

There is copious equipment discussion on this site so do some exploration. But a Nikon 440, R/T solo, and Suunnto clinometer will get you addicted in no time!

Will

M.W.Taylor
Site Admin

Post by M.W.Taylor » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:23 pm

One way to get a reasonably accurate laser is to buy a $99 laser range finder on Amazon or Ebay ( one without the vertical angle measurement). Then buy a $20 digital inclinometer (+,- .05 degree accuracy and direct read easy to find on Amazon) and paste it to the side with JBweld. Aim laser at tree top, get range and then hit the lock button on the inclinometer to lock in the angle. at the same time Then pull out a calculator or use your smartphone or something.. take sine of angle times the hypotenuse distance. You can get a very accurate measurement this way. But you have to have a calculator along side. Total cost $120. Accuracy equivalent to Trupulse200. Cost is 1/6
DAKennedy wrote:Hello NTS-ers,

I have a small question. Since all of you have more experience with tree measuring, I would like to ask for recommendations as to your favorite low to mid price range rangefinder, monocular-reticle, densitometer and hypsometer. This stems from me wanting to take the National Cadre class (assuming that there aren't any age restrictions on membership(I'm 13)), and so wanting to know what the right tools are.
Cheers,

- Duncan
Last edited by M.W.Taylor on Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.

M.W.Taylor
Site Admin

Post by M.W.Taylor » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:23 pm

Last edited by M.W.Taylor on Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

M.W.Taylor
Site Admin

Post by M.W.Taylor » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:30 pm

Off course you will need to zero out the inclinometer at zero degrees on the Laser crosshair and make sure to get an inclinometer with a lock button, otherwise you would need to have one eyeball outside your head looking at the angle reader while you get the distance with the other eye. I have built a few of these retrofit laser range finders with glued on inclinometer for friends and they work great. If you buy the laser I will send you an extra digital inclinometer I have that is accurate to +,- .05 degrees and has a lock button.

quote="M.W.Taylor"]One way to get a reasonably accurate laser is to buy a $99 laser range finder on Amazon or Ebay ( one without the vertical angle measurement). Then buy a $20 digital inclinometer (+,- .05 degree accuracy and direct read easy to find on Amazon) and past it to the side with JBweld. Aim laser at top, get range and then hit the lock button on the inclinometer to lock in the angle. Then pull out a calculator or use your smartphone or something.. take sine of angle times the hypotenuse distance. You can get a very accurate measurement this way. But you have to have a calculator along side. Total cost $120. Accuracy equivalent to Trupulse200. Cost is 1/6
DAKennedy wrote:Hello NTS-ers,

Cheers,

- Duncan
[/quote]

DAKennedy

Post by DAKennedy » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:44 pm

Okay, I'm currently looking on Amazon. So far only golf rangefinders and hunting rangefinders that are accurate within +- 1 yard. Doesn't sound very accurate to me. what are your suggestions?

- Duncan
Duncan Kennedy
Student, University of Nevada - Reno; Biotech dept.
Tree Measurer.
http://sierracountybigtrees.wordpress.com/

bbeduhn

Post by bbeduhn » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:40 am

The one yard accuracy is actually just fine. With that situation, you just have to move forward or backward to the clickover point to get an accurate reading. The Nikon Riflehunter and Bowhunter each have .1 yard accuracy and can shoot a little shorter than the typical 10 meter (10.5 yard) minimum. These will run in the $300 range however.

M.W.Taylor
Site Admin

Post by M.W.Taylor » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:37 pm

Agreed, 1 yard is fine. As dbbeduhn points out, you can find the switch point by moving forward or backwards.
bbeduhn wrote:The one yard accuracy is actually just fine. With that situation, you just have to move forward or backward to the clickover point to get an accurate reading. The Nikon Riflehunter and Bowhunter each have .1 yard accuracy and can shoot a little shorter than the typical 10 meter (10.5 yard) minimum. These will run in the $300 range however.

M.W.Taylor
Site Admin

Post by M.W.Taylor » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:10 am

Duncan,

The Opti-logic 1000 hypsometer is for sale on Amazon for $350 with shipping included. Accuracy and readout directly to 1 foot. This is a great buy. Equivalent to Trupulse200 but 1/2 the price.

http://www.amazon.com/Opti-Logic1000-Hy ... der+1+foot

Return to “Measurement and Dendromorphometry”