Virginia Tech Tree-measuring Workshop

General discussions of measurement techniques and the results of testing of techniques and equipment.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

Virginia Tech Tree-measuring Workshop

Post by dbhguru » Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:31 pm

Hi All,

On Sept 14 we held our 4th tree-measuring workshop at Virginia Tech. Dr. Eric Wiseman was the administrative organizer. Will Blozan and I were the instructors. Our buddy Brian Beduhn attended as a Cadre member to assist us in the outdoor part of the workshop.

The event was quite successful. Lots of questions were asked. However, at this point, I'm unsure how many Cadre apprentices we gained. I suspect it will be several. The two prolific Virginia big tree hunters attended. Will and I hope they will accept the Cadre methods and joun us.

Today, I succeeded in persuading my friend Dr. Nancy Weiss to join athe Cadre as an apprentice. She will be outstanding. She becomes our second female apprentice.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

John Harvey

Re: Virginia Tech Tree-measuring Workshop

Post by John Harvey » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:59 pm

One of those big tree guys from Virginia (I wont name him because you didn't) is pretty much a hero of mine. The trees he has found in Virginia and the work he has put into his passion is inspiring. I've been watching his discoveries from online for years and made visits to a few of his best finds.
On another note, I'm glad it was a successful workshop and hope to be a part of the next west coast meeting!
John D Harvey (JohnnyDJersey)

East Coast and West Coast Big Tree Hunter

"If you look closely at a tree you'll notice it's knots and dead branches, just like our bodies. What we learn is that beauty and imperfection go together wonderfully." - Matt Fox

Return to “Measurement and Dendromorphometry”