New NH Mission Emerging

General discussions of measurement techniques and the results of testing of techniques and equipment.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

New NH Mission Emerging

Post by dbhguru » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:56 am

NTS,

Sam Stoddard is a retired extension forester from New Hampshire. I met Sam about 10 years ago and was impressed with his knowledge. Today Sam is a full National Cadre member and we have started a project to document New Hampshire's outstanding white pines, individual trees and stands. Sam is lining up a team across the state to give us locations of trees and stands. We will hold a tree-measuring workshop in 2016 in New Hampshire. So, attention will grow.

In time, we'll build a white pine database for NH comparable to the one I have for Massachusetts. We already have a good database for PA, thanks to the Pennsylvania A-Team. If we could do the same for NY, we'd really be on top of our game in the Northeast. With Matt Markworth's recent measuring of the whites in Natural Bridge SP, KY to 167 feet, and his belief that there are plenty more, the role of the great white in the eastern tree height competition re-emerges.

The tuliptree and the white pine have always been neck and neck, but in recent years, the sheer number of tulips above 150 has utterly swamped the white pine count. It is difficult to thread through the anecdotal material and draw valid conclusions about what existed in colonial times. Supposed, white pines well over 200 feet grew. However, we don't trust the numbers we've seen. But keeping attention on the species, appealing to the imagination of tree lovers is all for the good.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Matt Markworth

Re: New NH Mission Emerging

Post by Matt Markworth » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:20 am

Bob,

That's great news, can't wait to learn more about how well the species does up north in New Hampshire.

On the Kentucky front, even though the forests in the Red River Gorge/Natural Bridge State Park region were very heavily logged, I've found 3 pockets with at least one 160'+ footer, and a fourth pocket with younger trees around the 150' mark. Dr. Tom Kimmerer wants to show me another pocket of big pines in the Red River Gorge. I'll provide a report after I spend a couple days down there after leaf drop.

Matt

Return to “Measurement and Dendromorphometry”