Durango Workshop

General discussions of measurement techniques and the results of testing of techniques and equipment.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

Durango Workshop

Post by dbhguru » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:44 pm

Hi Ents

The American Forests Durango tree-measuring workshop is about to happen. I spent the day with Kent Grant, the Colorado State Forest Service representative working on getting the equipment set up for Friday. They have a new Epson projector and he has a Windows based computer. We're all set now, but it was a little challenging when Microsoft and Apple files are mixed.

Will Blozan, Matt Markworth, and Larry Tucei are here now, and tomorrow, Don Bertolette will arrive. I expect Eli Dickerson will arrive also. We'll have plenty of National Cadre members on hand to act as trainers.

Despite the need to spend time planning, on Monday, I was up in the Hermosa Creek area and confirmed a new Colorado Blue to 153 feet in height. I think Matt measured a new Colorado Blue to 170 feet. So there are plenty of discoveries yet to be made. Hopefully, before all leave, records will be broken, we'll have new Cadre recruits, and we'll find ourselves farther down the road toward toward achieving our goals.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Matt Markworth

Re: Durango Workshop

Post by Matt Markworth » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:39 pm

Bob,

I agree, there are a lot more trees to be discovered to tell the story on what this area can achieve. The team of NTS got into a thick grove of blue spruce today and a 160' class tree can be added to that growing list with others close behind. Impressive Doug firs were also found. Hopefully some of the attendees can take the baton and carry it even farther to see what other surprises are out there.

Matt

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:25 am

NTS

Yesterday, we held the indoor session of the workshop. Today, it is into the field we go. I think we have some crackerjacks candidates for the Cadre, perhaps as many as 7. Details later.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:49 pm

NTS

Looking back on the Durango tree measuring workshop, it is apparent to me, that Inch by inch, we are accomplishing our mission. Attracting three employees of the Colorado State Forestry Service into our ranks was a big step. I don't expect the flood gates to open any time soon, but we will gradually move into the state forestry services. We'll pick up the exceptional people first and the others will follow.

On the tree discovery front, Will and Matt continued adding to the list of outstanding trees. Will reported in Facebook on a 13.6-foot girth, 148.5-foot tall ponderosa pine. Will is certain that the volume exceeds 1,000 ft^3. They also made other discoveries including a new height champion ponderosa (G=10' 11", H=165.3'). They measured lots of 150s for both pondies and blues. We also measured a dead Doug fir on Jones Creek to 162 feet. I'm sure Will and Matt will give a full accounting.

What are we to make of all this information? Back in 2008, nobody had a clue as to what was growing in the Hermosa Creek drainage. People saw the trees, but they were just trees. Thanks to our efforts, people are aware that they are exceptional. We can claim full credit for the public's expansion of awareness. But, it goes beyond the general public's appreciation. The scientific community is beginning to ask questions. Our data are driving some of those questions. This was what we envisioned back in 1996 when we established the Eastern Native Tree Society. We also wanted to feed data to big tree programs. That objective has been realized in spades.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

pattyjenkins1

Post by pattyjenkins1 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:56 am

"Looking back on the Durango tree measuring workshop, it is apparent to me, that Inch by inch, we are accomplishing our mission."

Getting the recognition you -- and the trees -- deserve. Congratulations!

patty
Patty Jenkins
Executive Director
Tree Climbers International, Inc.
Get High / Climb Trees

Matt Markworth

Post by Matt Markworth » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:38 pm

All,

Here are a couple photos from the Durango Workshop. I didn't get everyone in the frames, but the first photo was at the park in Durango when attendees were getting more comfortable with the equipment, and the second photo was on the Hermosa Creek Trail. There was definitely a lot of oohing and aahing!
216.JPG
217.JPG
Matt

Return to “Measurement and Dendromorphometry”