Pith explorations in cherry and walnut

General discussions of measurement techniques and the results of testing of techniques and equipment.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Will Blozan

Pith explorations in cherry and walnut

Post by Will Blozan » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:04 pm

NTS,

Yesterday I was able to dissect two trees with multiple trunks. One, a black cherry, appeared to have a low fork. The other, a black walnut, was clearly a twin. To confirm my suspicions I cut the trees at ground level (as close as I could get) and on the cherry, at the narrowest point between the ground and fork.

First, the cherry. BTW, I had already removed the main stem but it was straight up from the cut. A seam of bark ridge was visible where the two stems met.
View 1 of cherry
View 1 of cherry
Pith trace
Pith trace
The basal cut revealed a single pith at the ground level or slightly above.
Cherry basal cut
Cherry basal cut
Single pith at ground
Single pith at ground
This surprised me so I cut it where we would take the smallest measurable girth. Here it had two piths.
Cut at narrowest point
Cut at narrowest point
Two piths
Two piths
Next the walnut. A pith trace would clearly yield two trunks and this was supported by the basal cut which showed two piths.
Walnut
Walnut
Two piths as expected
Two piths as expected
This post is to help visualize how the outside of trees can allude to what is inside. I will cut more as they arise in my business.

Will

dbhguru

Re: Pith explorations in cherry and walnut

Post by dbhguru » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:34 pm

Will

Outstanding! This is exactly what we need, i.e. direct proof of where the pith lines are, and you're just the one to give it to us. This is a huge leap forward.We need to put all the images and analysis in a special folder for Cadre members to study.

I think I would have guessed that there was a single pith at ground level for the cherry and definitely guessed two for the walnut. But only after lots of cuts and comparisons, will we get a grip on the one versus multiple pith determinations
You da man, Will.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Matt Markworth

Post by Matt Markworth » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:58 pm

Will,

That's awesome! Love the photos.

I'm going to start keeping an eye out for cut trees along trails, and see if I can find any examples.

Matt

Don

Post by Don » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:42 pm

Will-
This is SO very helpful, not just for the Cadre, but for the MGWG as well...I've gone "way out on a limb" on the pith line tracing method, and am glad to see supporting images...keep on cutting such 'challengers' as you can, and they'll be excellent learning opportunities!
Matt-
The trick is to be able to see the 'before and after, where you can...you both ROCK!
-DOn
Don Bertolette - President/Moderator, WNTS BBS
Restoration Forester (Retired)
Science Center
Grand Canyon National Park

BJCP Apprentice Beer Judge

View my Alaska Big Tree List Webpage at:
http://www.akbigtreelist.org

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:24 am

Will- Awesome! So the Cherry was one pith from ground then split into two? I'm I looking at this correctly. These two examples are really exceptional. The Cherry shows how in some cases the trunks from one pith and not two- Way cool. I have a young Live Oak growing that split into two trunks from the beginning of growth. I'll post a picture of it- Out of 10 Oaks I grew from Oak Alley last year only one had this type of growth pattern. Larry

Return to “Measurement and Dendromorphometry”