Update on National Cadre

General discussions of measurement techniques and the results of testing of techniques and equipment.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

Update on National Cadre

Post by dbhguru » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:10 am

Ents,

At 2:30PM today, the National Cadre will have its second telephone conference call. We'll discuss progress to date and the impending workload in helping sort through the outstanding nominations to the National Register. We'll have from March 20 to April 22nd to sort through many nominations. No small task.

In today's meeting, we'll also discuss training Cadre apprentices, strategies for building the database of species maximums, photo requirements for nominations, pith tracings, assistance to state coordinators, workshops, gaps in the current guidelines, an LTI discount to Cadre members for the TP 200 and 360 models, and the impending List Serve for Cadre members. These telephone conference calls will likely occur at the rate of one every month or two, or at least until the List Serve is functioning well.

Yesterday, we had a telephone conference with about 15 or 16 state champion tree program coordinators. The meeting went very well. I can foresee the time when the dam will break and we'll get a flood of applicants to the National Cadre coming through the state coordinators. The word does circulate and after a time, states that haven't been too aggressive in the past will not want to fall too far behind. We're certainly not prepared to handle a deluge of apprentices now, but I do believe the time will come when we'd better be able to handle several dozen.

As of now, our plan is to assign each new apprentice to an existing Cadre member as the primary trainer. In fact, that is being implemented now with yours truly being the assigned trainer for Shawn Bruzda in Ohio, and my buddy Ray Asselin here in Massachusetts. Okay, Ray, cough up all those photos of me in the silly ski cap, the ones in which I look like weigh 400 lbs, the evangelistic pose, etc. They must be replaced with images of a more noble, statuesque Bob. Boy, do you have your work cut out for you.

Back to being serious. The training period can take up to 3 months, or even longer when the trainee is stretched for time. The basic approach will be to go method by method through the beginning and intermediate techniques as explained in the AF Tree Measuring Guidelines Handbook. Some, but not necessarily all advanced methods will be covered last. The intermediate problem sets, such as has been posted on the BBS, will be used to insure the trainee has a recipe for solving problems in the field.

In a few days, we'll have our first certification work by a Cadre member. Cadre member Steve Galehouse and Cadre apprentice Shawn Bruzda will re-measure a couple of Ohio trees. I think they are state champions, as opposed to national ones. However, Ohio state champion tree program coordinator Alistair Reynolds asked for the help. That is what we wanted to happen.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Larry Tucei

Re: Update on National Cadre

Post by Larry Tucei » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:30 pm

Bob- Sorry I could not make the conference call, got tied up that time. Larry

Return to “Measurement and Dendromorphometry”