Smartphone Apps of Potentisl Value to Ents

General discussions of measurement techniques and the results of testing of techniques and equipment.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#11)  Re: Smartphone Apps of Potentisl Value to Ents

Postby dbhguru » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:35 am

Matt,

Thanks for the tips and keeping this thread going. Lots of members undoubtedly have their favorite apps. We invite them to share with us and explain why such and such an app serves their purposes.

I intend to download the apps you mention and give them a try. Thanks again.  BTW, those shots of the terrain near Las Vegas were spectacular. For those of us who have been to Vegas and endured the hype and excesses, it is truly remarkable that such great country lies so near.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and Executive Director
Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
dbhguru

Has Liked: 3 times
Has Been Liked: 1060 times
Print view this post

#12)  Re: Smartphone Apps of Potentisl Value to Ents

Postby dbhguru » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:08 pm

NTS,

I've been experimenting with Numbers, an Apple spreadsheet product for all kinds of Apple devices. At this point, my sense is that Numbers works better for the iPAD than it does with the iPhone because of the larger screen. Regardless, Numbers is a good product probably worth the $5.00 price tag. For the tree measurer, our methods can be coded fairly simply, but so can they using Discount Spreadsheet from Luminant. Unless you are a real spreadsheet aficionado, Discount Spreadsheet is sufficient.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President
dbhguru

Print view this post

#13)  Re: Smartphone Apps of Potentisl Value to Ents

Postby dbhguru » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:39 am

NTS,

Continuing with the list of apps that this user personally finds valuable. I highly recommend MotionX-GPS. It is very well laid out; very easy to follow. I much prefer it to my Garmin Oregon 450T, which has an awkward user interface, although the Garmin may be a little more accurate.

The paths for navigating among the features are very logical in Motion-X. You don't find yourself wondering how you got to a spot. The user guide is well written. I suppose if there is a downside to the app is that it uses up the battery fairly quickly.  

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President
dbhguru

Print view this post

#14)  Re: Smartphone Apps of Potentisl Value to Ents

Postby edfrank » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:32 pm

dbhguru wrote:NTS,

Two useful and cheap iPhone apps allow us to measure distance on a map. They are DistMeasure and Distance.

Bob, who is the author of DistMeasure?  I can't find an app that has that specific name.

Ed
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky
edfrank
Site Admin

{ IMAGES }: 0
Has Liked: 915 times
Has Been Liked: 702 times
Blog: View Blog (3)
Print view this post

#15)  Re: Smartphone Apps of Potentisl Value to Ents

Postby dbhguru » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:13 pm

Ed,

The app is written by R. Betjes. Go to http://betjis.blogspot.com for more info.

While I'm at it, Leafsnap is so-so. Not a heavyweight app. THe photos are clear  and many are useful, but others aren't. Case in point is the bark shot of tuliptree. Also, the app can give some spectacular misses. It surely didn't help me on black maple over in NY last summer.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President
dbhguru

Print view this post

#16)  Re: Smartphone Apps of Potentisl Value to Ents

Postby edfrank » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:29 pm

Thanks Bob.  I have a bunch of apps on my iPhone 6+ but have not used them enough to judge what is useful or not yet.  I have the 128 GB model so I can hold quite a few and I have been downloading things that look interesting.  

For people with newer models there are some video and photography apps that are worth having.

1) Ultrakam $10 this lets the iPhone 6 use all of the cameras capabilities to shoot 4K video.  It also gets the most out of some older models.  For the 5s for example "Ultrakam allows you to record 2K film resolution video in your iPhone 5S with nearly uncompressed quality."  http://vfxwarrior.com/ultrakam4k/#!home

2) Hyperlapse by Istagram:  This app lets you shoot stabilized time lapse videos that look like those achieved through the hyperlapse process.  The results are really cool.  https://hyperlapse.instagram.com/  Look on Youtube to see how to access secret setting in the app.

3) GoPro app: If you have a GoPro camera there is a GoPro app that lets you connect to the cameras wifi and view and control it remotely.  

4) ProCamera:  $5?  This app lets you control various aspects of exposure, white balance etc on your phones camera.  It will let you take by giving you more control.  There is the real;ity bowever that the iPhone camera is a fixed focal length and if you zoom in, it is a digital zoom with loss of quality.

5) Battery Doctor  by KS Mobile Inc. seems to be a useful utility to monitor and regulate your battery charging on the phones.

6) Data Monitor - Manage Your Usage byAmos Epstein -  monitors your data usage for the month both through cell and wifi.  

I have a bunch of Apps most of which I have not even used yet, or only fired up to see if they work.
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky
edfrank
Site Admin

Print view this post

#17)  Re: Smartphone Apps of Potentisl Value to Ents

Postby mdavie » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:26 pm

Virginia Tech's free vTree app is a pretty good identification app for iphones and androids.
mdavie

Has Liked: 237 times
Has Been Liked: 34 times
Print view this post

#18)  Smartphone Apps of Potentisl Value to Ents

Postby pattyjenkins1 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:16 am

Virginia Tech's free vTree app is a pretty good identification app for iphones and androids.

Michael--unfortunately vTech is available only for Android. I looked in the App store and on the Virginia Tech website.

LeafSnap is indeed insufficient for treeID. Does anyone have any other ideas for a good tree ID app for iPhone?

patty
Patty Jenkins
Executive Director
Tree Climbers International, Inc.
Get High / Climb Trees
pattyjenkins1

Has Liked: 210 times
Has Been Liked: 57 times
Print view this post

#19)  Re: Smartphone Apps of Potentisl Value to Ents

Postby Don » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:48 pm

Patty
Have you tried Audubon Trees with 'Nature Share' (one volume of several in the Audubon Guide series).  Not free, but reasonable...of course, excellent with birds!
Don
Don Bertolette - President/Moderator, WNTS BBS
Restoration Forester (Retired)
Science Center
Grand Canyon National Park

BJCP Apprentice Beer Judge

View my Alaska Big Tree List Webpage at:
http://www.akbigtreelist.org
Don

Has Liked: 67 times
Has Been Liked: 224 times
Print view this post

#20)  Re: Smartphone Apps of Potentisl Value to Ents

Postby edfrank » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:59 pm

Patty,

I just downloaded Vtree from Virginia Tech onto my iPhone.  So it is available for IOS.

Ed
edfrank
Site Admin

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Measurement and Dendromorphometry