Smartphone Apps of Potentisl Value to Ents

General discussions of measurement techniques and the results of testing of techniques and equipment.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#1)  What Apps Do You Recommend?

Postby edfrank » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:59 pm

I purchased a new iPhone 6 today. Many of you have smart phones. I know there are apps for trees, but what other apps in either Android or IOS do you recommend for the outdoor explorer and for general usage? So come on everyone, post something about your favorite and most useful apps.

iphone6.jpg

iphone6.jpg (24.58 KiB) Viewed 974 times

"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky
edfrank
Site Admin

{ IMAGES }: 0
Has Liked: 915 times
Has Been Liked: 697 times
Blog: View Blog (3)
Print view this post

#2)  Re: What Apps Do You Recommend?

Postby Don » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:37 pm

Ed-
That's easy:
Theodolite (Hunter Research...great app for tree measurers)
Clinometer (this iPhone map makes good use of the 3 accelerometers and serves as a more accurate clinometer than Suunto or Brunton!)
Birds, Trees - Two of the Audubon series I like
iConvert - Unit measure conversion app
BJCP - Beer Judge Competition Panel compendium of beer styles, and judging criteria...: ~ }
Star Walk - for above and below equator arrangements of stars, with incredibly rich astronomical info bits!
Most of these are either free or nominal!
Don Bertolette - President/Moderator, WNTS BBS
Restoration Forester (Retired)
Science Center
Grand Canyon National Park

BJCP Apprentice Beer Judge

View my Alaska Big Tree List Webpage at:
http://www.akbigtreelist.org

For this message the author Don has received Likes :
edfrank
Don

Has Liked: 65 times
Has Been Liked: 221 times
Print view this post

#3)  Re: What Apps Do You Recommend?

Postby pattyjenkins1 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:43 am

Ed--
I use iBird more than every other outdoors-related app on my iPhone.
patty
Patty Jenkins
Executive Director
Tree Climbers International, Inc.
Get High / Climb Trees

For this message the author pattyjenkins1 has received Likes :
edfrank
pattyjenkins1

Has Liked: 208 times
Has Been Liked: 57 times
Print view this post

#4)  Re: What Apps Do You Recommend?

Postby Matt Markworth » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:44 am

Ed,

Here are some that I use quite a bit:

Trimble Navigator - GPS
Youtube Capture - direct video capture/edit/upload to youtube
Calc Pro - scientific calculator
Slacker Radio - music

Matt

For this message the author Matt Markworth has received Likes :
edfrank
Matt Markworth

Has Liked: 1060 times
Has Been Liked: 811 times
Print view this post

#5)  Re: What Apps Do You Recommend?

Postby edfrank » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:24 pm

Don and Bob,

Which Clinometer app do you have?  Who makes it?  There are many with names very similar.

Ed
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky
edfrank
Site Admin

{ IMAGES }: 0
Has Liked: 915 times
Has Been Liked: 697 times
Blog: View Blog (3)
Print view this post

#6)  Re: What Apps Do You Recommend?

Postby Don » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:14 am

Ed-
I don't know the other "Clinometers", but I really like this one, created by:
Plaincode (app development + tech blog)
and can be found at http://www.plaincode.com

Features include:
Motion Sensitive Lock
Speech Synthesis
Simple Calibration
Two Way Calibration
Camera View through 'Clinometer Dial'
"Vernier" to interpolate to 0.1 degree angle
Dial Color choices
When laid flat on a surface (like the floor of a Converted Bus/RV floor), becomes a bulls-eye level...: > }
I think you'll like it!
-Don
Don Bertolette - President/Moderator, WNTS BBS
Restoration Forester (Retired)
Science Center
Grand Canyon National Park

BJCP Apprentice Beer Judge

View my Alaska Big Tree List Webpage at:
http://www.akbigtreelist.org

For this message the author Don has received Likes :
edfrank
Don

Has Liked: 65 times
Has Been Liked: 221 times
Print view this post

#7)  Smartphone Apps of Potentisl Value to Ents

Postby dbhguru » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:53 pm

NTS

Ed Frank asked about useful iPhone Apps some time back. I'm getting around to my contribution. One app I'm highly impressed with is Discount Spreadsheet from Luminant Software. It is very easy to use and has all the Trig functions we need.  Basic operations are simple such as saving spreadsheets. This product is an alternatve to simple language interpreters like HotPaw Basic. The product costs $1.99. Can't beat the value. More on this and other products to come.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and Executive Director
Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
dbhguru

Has Liked: 3 times
Has Been Liked: 1051 times
Print view this post

#8)  Re: Smartphone Apps of Potentisl Value to Ents

Postby dbhguru » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:58 am

NTS,

My friend Don Bertolette has extolled the virtues of the iPhone app Theodolite. I heartily agree with him and endorse the app. As well as returning vertical and horizon angles and azimuth, it supports distance and height measurements where one of the those two factors is supplied, i.e. if you supply the distance, it will give height and vice versa. Of course, these are tangent-based calculations.  

Another equally useful app for measuring distance and height is SeeLevel. It also have a level and plumb line features. The plumb line feature can be used to judge when you are directly beneath a target such as the extension of a limb. The height and distance features for SeaLevel basically work like those of Theodolite.

In summary, to this point, we have the apps:

1. Discount Spreadsheet
 2. Theodolite
 3. SeeLevel

Lots more to come, including a rating system.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President
dbhguru

Print view this post

#9)  Re: Smartphone Apps of Potentisl Value to Ents

Postby dbhguru » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:16 am

NTS,

Two useful and cheap iPhone apps allow us to measure distance on a map. They are DistMeasure and Distance. With Distance, you use regular road maps and trace your path out with your finger. So, you can follow the curvature of a road. The distance is given in miles and kilometers at the top of the screen. The app couldn't be simpler. The biggest drawback is that you can only trace what is on the current screen. You can't scroll the screen, continuing the path you want to trace. You can start with more area on the screen, but that leads to a loss in accuracy. The trace you use with your finger tip is quite wide.

DistMeasure is truly cool. You have an actual aerial map with road names superimposed. You touch the screen to drop a marker. Successive markers are joined by straight paths. This means that you have to drop more markers, but that is just an inconvenience. You can scroll the screen as you drop the markers.  There is a simple distance tool and an area tool. Both work as described.

These two apps are simple and functional. I give them high marks, but if I had to choose one of them, it would be DistMeasure. It partly reflects my preference for apps that don't try to serve every purpose and desire, leading to unwanted complexity. Call it my advancing age, if you will, but I don't want to be constantly deposited in some obscure feature because I swiped the wrong way or touched some area of the screen accidentally. I don't need a constantly changing user interface. So, these simple apps satisfy my simple mind by doing what I want.

Lots more to come.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President
dbhguru

Print view this post

#10)  Re: Smartphone Apps of Potentisl Value to Ents

Postby Matt Markworth » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:07 am

Bob, All,

The 3 apps that I use the most in the field are Trimble Navigator, Calc Pro and Youtube Capture. Calc Pro serves the purpose of a scientific calculator and Youtube Capture is an easy way to take a series of quick video snippets and then easily edit and upload when I'm back in Wi-Fi range.

There are other GPS apps that I'm sure can serve the same purpose as Trimble Navigator, but it's just the one that I gravitated to. Here are the features/benefits that I find helpful:

Aerial/Street/Topographical/Terrain Maps

Records Your Track/Path - I enjoy seeing this when I'm done and helps in the field when determining the best way back to the starting point.

Mark Waypoints - Avoids the problem of forgetting where a tree is.

Geo-tagged Photos - This really helps to avoid the situation when you can't remember which photos match up with which tree. The photo can be named with the measurements of the tree. If someone prefers to use a real camera, then the iPhone can be used for a snapshot of the same scene that the real camera captured.

Can save trips to trimbleoutdoors.com and can also pre-plan trips and enter waypoints before you leave home.

The Pro version ($4.99) allows you to download maps to your phone so that you'll still have the map if you travel outside of cell phone coverage. Satellite coverage still keeps track of your location, but having the downloaded map is nice so you can still see your location on the map. When travelling outside of cell phone coverage it's good to have the app running while still within cell phone coverage so that there is a smoother transition from cell phone/satellite coverage over to strictly satellite coverage.

I also carry an IOGear 11,000mAh capacity recharger, which can recharge the iPhone multiple times.

Matt
Matt Markworth

Has Liked: 1060 times
Has Been Liked: 811 times
Print view this post

Next

Return to Measurement and Dendromorphometry