Circumference Measurement Diagrams

General discussions of measurement techniques and the results of testing of techniques and equipment.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

Circumference Measurement Diagrams

Post by dbhguru » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:56 am

NTS,

As a continuation of the American Forests measuring guidelines initiative of the MGWG, we're starting a project to draw diagrams of where circumferences should be measured for the national competitions. There are three groups with interest: (1) the MGWG members, (2) the full National Cadre, and (3) the NTS membership as a whole. The project is in its early stages of development. Here s a look at our first diagram - still a work in progress.
Cir-Dia-1.png
Suggestions are welcome. I'm using the graphics capabilities of Excel to create the diagrams. Excel has limitations, but is easy to work with. So, what you see in the above diagram is suggestive of what would follow in other measuring scenarios.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Larry Tucei

Re: Circumference Measurement Diagrams

Post by Larry Tucei » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:54 pm

Bob- Great illustration as usual, can you do some examples with extreme slope and moderate- that is sometimes difficult. Also sometimes the tree leans up slope or even down slope they can be tricky and the most difficult are on the edge of a drop, branch, creek etc. Larry

Don

Post by Don » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:36 am

Bob-
Larry's reading our mail!
-Don
Don Bertolette - President/Moderator, WNTS BBS
Restoration Forester (Retired)
Science Center
Grand Canyon National Park

BJCP Apprentice Beer Judge

View my Alaska Big Tree List Webpage at:
http://www.akbigtreelist.org

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:16 am

Larry, et al.,

Here is a reworked version of the diagram per Don's suggestions. Our goal is simplification. Show only what is needed and highlight the correct way of measuring circumference for the displayed shape.
Cir-Diam-1.png
We have begun work on a complete set of circumference diagrams depicting all the challenging measuring situations that we face. It will be a Cadre-wide project. So, you'll get these diagrams from time to time. We'll also solicit ideas from non-Cadre measurers. The diagrams will eventually become an appendix to the current AF guidelines.

The multi-trunk situations, cases where root structures engulf an old stump, run down the face of a rock, etc. will be our real challenges, but they have to be met or we'll continue to receive nominations that stretch believability.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

sam goodwin

Post by sam goodwin » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:21 pm

Bob, I am posting 2 pictures of a birch,(black?) I tried to measure CBH on back in 11/23/14 in Connecticut. In one picture I am standing on the remains of a old tree that may have caused the birch to grow the way it did. Sam Goodwin
Attachments
PB230019.JPG
PB230024.JPG

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:46 pm

Sam,

Oooh, we're going to have to sleep on this one a while. Thanks for send in the photos. Please keep'um coming.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

Don

Post by Don » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:55 am

Bob-
Your phrase "forest forensics" comes to mind...will the coroner find 'petechial hemorrhaging'? Was this event wholly in the context of the family, or were outsiders intertwined?
Perhaps I've been reading too many detective/mystery/thrillers of late...; ~ }
-Don
Don Bertolette - President/Moderator, WNTS BBS
Restoration Forester (Retired)
Science Center
Grand Canyon National Park

BJCP Apprentice Beer Judge

View my Alaska Big Tree List Webpage at:
http://www.akbigtreelist.org

Return to “Measurement and Dendromorphometry”