New Member for AF MGWG

General discussions of measurement techniques and the results of testing of techniques and equipment.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

New Member for AF MGWG

Post by dbhguru » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:55 pm

Hi Ents,

I'd like to formally announce the addition of a new member to the American Forests Measuring Guidelines Working Group (AF MGWG). As you all know, for many months, we've been functioning with two members: Don Bertolette and yours truly. It's been a hell'uva great partnership, but now that partnership has just grown. We welcome aboard Will Blozan. Yep, Will is now officially a member of the MGWG, the entity responsible for AF's new measuring guidelines, the formation of the National Cadre, the design of the upcoming AF database of exceptional trees, etc. We desperately needed an expert tree climbing tree measurer who knows all the ropes (pun intended). Who better than Will?

Will has always had an strong influence on the proceedings, but now he moves from outside consultant to inside member - part of the A-team. We have one more member to go who is under consideration, and the team will be complete.

Under Bryant Smith's leadership, and those above him (Lea Sloan and Ian Leahy), there is no limit to what we can accomplish. However, the time frame in which actions are completed must acknowledge real world considerations like working budgets and other workloads. Some actions will occur in the near future and others will take 3 or 4 years to implement. However, let's take stock. The Big Tree Program has been around in AF since 1940. That's almost 55 years ago, and AF, itself, has been around since 1875. I'd say we're moving pretty fast.

On February 12th, we'll have an all National Cadre meeting, which will mark the beginning of regular communications between cadre members.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Don

Re: New Member for AF MGWG

Post by Don » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:50 pm

Yes!
Will is a welcome addition, there's more than enough to do in the MGWG, especially now with the burgeoning National Cadre Program.
Congratulations, Will !!
Don Bertolette - President/Moderator, WNTS BBS
Restoration Forester (Retired)
Science Center
Grand Canyon National Park

BJCP Apprentice Beer Judge

View my Alaska Big Tree List Webpage at:
http://www.akbigtreelist.org

Will Blozan

Post by Will Blozan » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:15 pm

Thanks guys- I am honored!

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:00 pm

I think I have heard of that Will Blozan guy somewhere. Maybe his picture at the post office... hmmm,
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

pattyjenkins1

Post by pattyjenkins1 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:42 am

'bout time. Question is--will he be participating from the top of a hemlock somewhere.
Patty Jenkins
Executive Director
Tree Climbers International, Inc.
Get High / Climb Trees

Return to “Measurement and Dendromorphometry”