ENTS Arborists to the Rescue....

General discussions of measurement techniques and the results of testing of techniques and equipment.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Don

ENTS Arborists to the Rescue....

Post by Don » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:48 pm

Arborists All-
Having labored in a Forestry background, it's only the last decade or so that I have had an opportunity to gain a sense of the world of arboriculture.

In that context, I have the idea that while much of your work is nurturing in nature, that occasionally you are called upon to remove trees, whether from tree failure (or imminent failure) or from various landscape needs.

So I come to you, with hat in hand, asking for a favor. What I'm looking for is images of ground level cross-sections from both single-stem and multiple-stem trees, with good resolution of pith and annual ring relationships. I am in the midst of putting together a paper on this topic, I've begun a serious search of the literature, and am working through our local university in accessing inter-library loans.

That said, I can gather a thousand words, but a picture can make my point more elegantly and accurately...so if in the process of single-tree and multiple-tree removals, you could snap some images (a cross-section view and the 'before' view) and email them to me, that would be very timely and helpful...

One of our Big Tree Program contacts at American Forests is an Ian Leahy, an arborist himself from the DC area, and an ally. He promises to be a strong supporter of the MGWG and has been supportive of my draft paper on single versus multi-stem identification. Your help in gathering requested imagery above will much appreciated and part of the solution!

Will B...your contribution earlier with the 13 cookie view of a single appearing stem going to a twin stem has been very instrumental and often used in the give and take in the MGWG...if you're able to assist in above task, it would be very helpful...I see in FB that your life is full and will understand if time doesn't permit. Still, I'm crossing my fingers...; > )
-don
Thanks!!
Don Bertolette - President/Moderator, WNTS BBS
Restoration Forester (Retired)
Science Center
Grand Canyon National Park

BJCP Apprentice Beer Judge

View my Alaska Big Tree List Webpage at:
http://www.akbigtreelist.org

Will Blozan

Re: ENTS Arborists to the Rescue....

Post by Will Blozan » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:35 pm

Don,

Absolutely!!!!

Will

Matt Markworth

Post by Matt Markworth » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:50 pm

All,

Although not a cross-section view like an Arborist can create, these photos show a very early stage of what, in the future, could be a very difficult tree to determine single vs. multi-pith for anyone that didn't know it's history.

This silver maple is ~3 years old and it has sent up a branch just above the base. I believe this is a response to losing a major branch earlier this year and some pruning.
IMG_3792.JPG
IMG_3792.JPG (57.77 KiB) Viewed 1012 times
IMG_3791.JPG
IMG_3791.JPG (56.29 KiB) Viewed 1012 times
Matt

Don

Post by Don » Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:22 pm

Matt-
That's the idea! For an sense of what might happen with your silver maple, I've an example on page 77 in the online AF Measuring Guidelines http://www.americanforests.org/wp-conte ... nes_LR.pdf.
Having before (while tree is still vertical) and after (severed pie sliced views) comparisons will yield an understanding that is just not easily forthcoming in my current survey of the literature. The old story about a picture being worth a thousand words!
Thanks for having an eye out for these things!
-Don
Appendix A follows:
Attachments
TriplePieDelineated.docx
(6.15 MiB) Downloaded 67 times
Science Center

Joe

Post by Joe » Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:33 am

This all reminds me of the great work of Alex Shigo- with his photos/drawings of cut trees, lengthwise, showing "discoloration and decay".
Joe

Rand

Post by Rand » Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:10 am

I never really thought about it till, now, but I realize that having to help cut and stack firewood as a kid gave me an intuitive understanding of tree growth, just by looking at all the bits (Hey what else am I going to do?)

Don

Post by Don » Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:38 pm

Rand-
With every swing of the maul...
-Don
Science Center

Matt Markworth

Post by Matt Markworth » Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:48 pm

Don wrote:Matt-
That's the idea! For an sense of what might happen with your silver maple, I've an example on page 77 in the online AF Measuring Guidelines
Don,

Thanks, that's a great photo. I'll continue to look for examples on the sides of trails, etc. Sometimes big "cookies" are left behind, so there may be some good examples out there just waiting to be photographed.

Matt

Return to “Measurement and Dendromorphometry”