Nikon Prostaff 3 and 5?

General discussions of measurement techniques and the results of testing of techniques and equipment.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Erik Danielsen

Nikon Prostaff 3 and 5?

Post by Erik Danielsen » Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:38 pm

I'm likely about to drop the money for a used nikon prostaff 550 but I've noticed the prostaff 3 and 5 (as well as some "aculon" models) available at good prices as well. I couldn't find info on any of these by way of the forum search and wondered why they aren't really in use by any ents? Are they lacking in some particular way that the 440/550 are not?

I think the days of good 440 availability on ebay may be past us, by the way.

dbhguru

Re: Nikon Prostaff 3 and 5?

Post by dbhguru » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:20 am

Erik,

The specifications for the Prostaff 5 seem adequate. I don't own one, but I expect it would perform adequately.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Erik Danielsen

Post by Erik Danielsen » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:18 pm

Thanks for the response, I'll plan to grab the 5 or 550 depending on the prices I find tomorrow.

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:51 pm

Erik,

When you get your Nikon, we can talk you through a calibration routine if you wish. It helps to know exactly your instrument is performing at different distances. I expect that Nikon has put the same laser in the model 5 as more expensive models. So much of it is marketing and a few extra features.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Erik Danielsen

Post by Erik Danielsen » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:37 pm

Certainly. The main site has some articles on calibrating that I downloaded a while back, so I'll start with those and see how it goes from there. Thanks!

Erik Danielsen

Post by Erik Danielsen » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:52 pm

Well, the 440 arrived, and I think it's a lemon.

Aiming at foliage about 80 feet away, clicking the button 5 times on the same target returned four instances of "cannot measure" and one measurement of 300+ yards. A nearby target a few feet closer gave a few more "cannot measures" and then a 400+ yard reading. Returning to the first target gave another completely different reading (along with more nonmeasurements).

Aiming at buildings a bit further away (several hundred feet at most) yielded similar behavior- mostly non-readings, any measurements returned quite exaggerated (350+ yards) and readings from targets within a couple yards of each other varying by tens of yards. Perhaps the laser is burning out (if that's a thing they do).

Fortunately the shop has a good return policy. Anyone else experience this sort of behavior before or have any insight into something obvious I'm missing before I send it off?

Matt Markworth

Post by Matt Markworth » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:47 pm

Erik Danielsen wrote:Well, the 440 arrived, and I think it's a lemon.

Aiming at foliage about 80 feet away, clicking the button 5 times on the same target returned four instances of "cannot measure" and one measurement of 300+ yards. A nearby target a few feet closer gave a few more "cannot measures" and then a 400+ yard reading. Returning to the first target gave another completely different reading (along with more nonmeasurements).

Aiming at buildings a bit further away (several hundred feet at most) yielded similar behavior- mostly non-readings, any measurements returned quite exaggerated (350+ yards) and readings from targets within a couple yards of each other varying by tens of yards. Perhaps the laser is burning out (if that's a thing they do).

Fortunately the shop has a good return policy. Anyone else experience this sort of behavior before or have any insight into something obvious I'm missing before I send it off?
Erik,

That sounds highly unusual. Make sure the lenses are clean and it has a good battery, but other than those basic things, I can't think of any other remedy.

My Nikon 440 has never shown any erratic behavior. I actually wouldn't mind getting another one in case this one ever wears out. It gives repeatable results and is superior to other lasers when trying to shoot through clutter.

Matt

Don

Post by Don » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:53 pm

Bottom line, Nikon stands behind their line, and I've had a number of instruments of theirs (F2A filmtype camera, Nikon Coolpix 5700, and a Nikon 440 that at one point or another went to them, and came back like new (or in the case of the Nikon 440, which came back as a New 550...).
Don Bertolette - President/Moderator, WNTS BBS
Restoration Forester (Retired)
Science Center
Grand Canyon National Park

BJCP Apprentice Beer Judge

View my Alaska Big Tree List Webpage at:
http://www.akbigtreelist.org

Erik Danielsen

Post by Erik Danielsen » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:22 pm

That's a good point Don, I might give Nikon customer service a ring tomorrow. The circumstances of purchase (ebay, no warranty) and the origin I suspect for the issue (see below) may mean I'm not covered, however.

The lenses look great and the battery reads full, and I've been continuing to have the same issues even while seeking out the easiest possible targets (reflective signs and white walls in low light), so I suspect it must be something inside. The only real clue I can come up with is a sticky fluid that was hiding in the lanyard hole; I don't know what it is or how it got there but it makes me suspect fluid damage. Then someone cleaned it up and sold it. Probably not the ebay seller I bought it from (an archery supply reseller- they have a strong return policy and high rating, so probably wouldn't sell something they'd expect the customer to return) but a previous owner. Who knows, really.

bbeduhn

Post by bbeduhn » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:19 am

Erik,
I use a 550 for crown scanning, which seems to be superior to the 440 in that respect. Shooting through ground clutter, the 440 absolutely blows the 550 away, however. I get better details at a distance with the 550. Close up clutter is a challenge with the 550 where the 440 gets through virtually all close up clutter and understory trees near the trunk. When I move back with the 550, I get errant readings, about 1.5 - 2 yards off. I just have to confirm with a steady shot. I haven't found another laser that shoots with as small a beam as the 440. The 550 also fits comfortably in your hand. I haven't tried the Pro Staff version yet.
Brian

Return to “Measurement and Dendromorphometry”