Southwest Old Growth Forest Conference - Durango

General discussions of measurement techniques and the results of testing of techniques and equipment.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Matt Markworth

Re: Southwest Old Growth Forest Conference - Durango

Post by Matt Markworth » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:59 pm

Bob,

Yes, count me in too. Thank you for setting this up and I greatly appreciate the invite. Also, it's very kind of Sandy Young to offer this at such a reasonable cost.

Matt

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:29 pm

Matt,

So far, you, Larry, and Will have committed to the ride back to the Doug fir champ. We have one more slot to fill.

On Aug 2nd, the plan is to take BVP up to Coal Bank Pass to re-measure the tall Englemann spruces up there. Hope you, Will, Larry, and others can join us.

As it stands now, the Mountain Studies Institute in Durango and Silverton is interested in our measurements. There is the possibility of a cooperative arrangement between the Institute and NTS. Maybe next summer we could collect field data on species maximums for them. So, it is looking more and more likely that our data can find good scientific homes, and hopefully, within the champion tree programs, certainly national, but also state.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Iowa Big Tree Guy

Post by Iowa Big Tree Guy » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:35 pm

Bob,

I was very glad to learn that Sandy is willing to lead an expedition to the big Douglas-fir. I plan on going but I will be hiking on foot again this year so that will free up a horse for someone else. It is a relatively easy hike without many big hills. It is quite a distance to the tree though, so if you make many stops along the way it will take most of the day. It was decided quite some time ago to name the big Douglas-fir the "Outfitter Tree". This is very appropriate since I learned about the tree from two outfitters. Here are a couple photographs of the tree to pique your interest.

Mark
Attachments
Colorado Big Trees 2013 171 Quick e-mail view.jpg
Colorado Big Trees 2013 170 Quick e-mail view.jpg

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:46 pm

Mark,

Excellent. I'll see who else might like to go. I didn't want to commit the 4th slot until I heard from you.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:07 pm

Hi All,

Well, the Southwest Old-growrh Forest Conference is over. It was successful on many fronts, to which I will speak in due course. And I'll leave it to Will, Matt, Larry, Chris, and Mark to inform everyone on some spectacular tall tree discoveries in the Hermosa Creek drainage. Lots to report on that points to future partnerships between NTS, TCI, LTI, American Forests, and the Mountain Studies Institute.

Monica and I are presently on our way back to Massachusetts. It is a long, long drive.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

Matt Markworth

Post by Matt Markworth » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:37 am

All,

A big thank you to Bob for all his work in organizing the old growth conference. I learned a lot and met a lot of people with similar interests. The presenters were excellent and I got just as much out of the various lunch/dinner/break time conversations. He truly was the master of ceremonies as the Durango Herald reported (Bob, I have a paper copy of the Herald and will give to you the next time I see you.)

I think that building relationships and strengthening partnerships may be the most valuable aspect of getting everyone together like this, so thanks again to Bob.

Matt

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:24 am

Matt,

Thanks, but the real heroes of the event are you, Will, BVP, Larry, Chris, Bart, Mark, etc. I knew the San Juans were special, almost unique, but we needed more numbers to prove it. You all delivered the goods in grand style, and you are still there, continuing to produce. So, a big THANKS to all of you.

What is extremely satisfying for me are the connections. An NTS-MSI partnership is a done deal. In addition, the strengthening bond with American Forests promises lots of challenges and rewards for us.

We're planning a ger together at Cook Forest State Park, PA in April 2015. More on this later.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

pattyjenkins1

Post by pattyjenkins1 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:38 am

We'll second Matt's congratulations to Bob for a great conference. Thanks so much,Bob.

On another note, I am excited about possibilities for the partnership between us all to further the efforts of Bob and Don in the AF's Champion Tree Program. It was great to have Lea Sloan present and to make a great connection with her. She was all ears both inside the auditorium and out, and about moving forward with programming, "marketing," educational materials, etc., once she gets a new Champion Tree Coordinator on board.

patty
Patty Jenkins
Executive Director
Tree Climbers International, Inc.
Get High / Climb Trees

Return to “Measurement and Dendromorphometry”