Southwest Old Growth Forest Conference - Durango

General discussions of measurement techniques and the results of testing of techniques and equipment.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

Southwest Old Growth Forest Conference - Durango

Post by dbhguru » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:55 am

Hello All,

We are set on the agenda for the Aug 4-5 conference in Durango. Please find a copy of that agenda attached. We will have informal NTS field trips on the 6th and 7th, but will not have formal field trips for the general public. The liability issue is a bridge too far for our modest budget, which presently is Monica and me. Anyone who would care to contribute to this WNTS event, we would be most grateful. Please send contributions to:

Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
106 Morningside Drive
Florence, MA 01062

Please list the contribution as being for the Durango old growth conference.

At present, NTS-TCI members from afar who are planning to attend include:

Dr. David Stahle (and students)
Don Bertolette
Dr. Lee Frelich
Will Blozan (and family)
Dr.Don Bragg
Larry Tucei
Matt Markworth
John Harvey
Mark Rouw
Chris (from Nevada)
Bob and Monica Leverett
Dr. Robert Van Pelt
Peter and Patty Jenkins
Michael Taylor (possibly)

If I've missed anybody who has indicated they would be joining us, I apologize. In addition, two poetry judges from Massachusetts will make the trip. Locally, many people will be involved including representation from the U.S. Forest Service, Fort Lewis College (Center for Southwest Studies and the Environmental Studies Program), the Mountain Studies Institute, and Great Old Broads for Wilderness. I have no idea how many will attend the conference, but I'm guessing between 150 and 250. There could be more if we get the event sufficiently advertised.

From this point forward, Monica and I will be involved in logistical planning for the event, much of it from the field. We plan to leave Massachusetts for Colorado on June 24th and travel to Arkansas where we'll visit my friend Dave Stahle, spend some time with my grandson in Rogers, and move on westward. Hopefully, there will be some tree time along the way.

Bob
Attachments
ScheduleSWOldGrowthConferenceJune4.docx
(24.42 KiB) Downloaded 71 times
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Co-founder, National Cadre

dbhguru

Re: Southwest Old Growth Forest Conference - Durango

Post by dbhguru » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:54 am

Ents

Tickets are now on sale for the Southwest Old-growth Forest Conference at

http://durangoconcerts.tix.com/Schedule.aspx?OrgNum=260

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:10 am

Bob- I'm flying out on the 3rd look forward to seeing you and everyone. Will there be tickets at the event or do we need to get them in advance? Larry

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:43 pm

NTS,

We're moving forward with the Southwest Old Growth Forest Conference scheduled for Aug 4-6 in Durango, CO. There is a good chance that American Forests will be able to participate. If so, the agenda will likely change slightly, but not enough to change the overall thrust of the conference.

I will give a presentation on tree measuring on the afternoon of Aug 4. It will probably afford everyone in the audience an opportunity to catch a nap. However, there will be more than just explaining measuring techniques. I plan to use the occasion to campaign for a firm AF-NTS-TCI partnership, and explain what it would contribute to our knowledge of tree sizes. I plan to stress our approach of continuing to build our database of dimension maximums and our ever stronger dedication to accuracy. Here TCI emerges as a strong validation arm for difficult or controversial measurements. I see TCI's role as growing as time goes on. I hope American Forests agrees.

BVP will arrive early and I hope to get him up to Coal Bank Pass to search for more tall Englemanns. The record to beat is roughly 142 feet at an altitude of 10,600 feet. If Will, Matt, Larry, John, and others arrive early, maybe we can all go up there. As of now, I'm planning on Aug 2nd. I'll likely be tied up on the 3rd with last minute conference preparations.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

Matt Markworth

Post by Matt Markworth » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:16 pm

dbhguru wrote:NTS,

We're moving forward with the Southwest Old Growth Forest Conference scheduled for Aug 4-6 in Durango, CO. There is a good chance that American Forests will be able to participate. If so, the agenda will likely change slightly, but not enough to change the overall thrust of the conference.

I will give a presentation on tree measuring on the afternoon of Aug 4. It will probably afford everyone in the audience an opportunity to catch a nap. However, there will be more than just explaining measuring techniques. I plan to use the occasion to campaign for a firm AF-NTS-TCI partnership, and explain what it would contribute to our knowledge of tree sizes. I plan to stress our approach of continuing to build our database of dimension maximums and our ever stronger dedication to accuracy. Here TCI emerges as a strong validation arm for difficult or controversial measurements. I see TCI's role as growing as time goes on. I hope American Forests agrees.

BVP will arrive early and I hope to get him up to Coal Bank Pass to search for more tall Englemanns. The record to beat is roughly 142 feet at an altitude of 10,600 feet. If Will, Matt, Larry, John, and others arrive early, maybe we can all go up there. As of now, I'm planning on Aug 2nd. I'll likely be tied up on the 3rd with last minute conference preparations.

Bob
Bob,

Sounds great. After the Colorado trip, I plan on continuing the alphabetical march through the genera for the Tree of the Week. Excerpts from Jess's MaxList will continue to be featured, and with new submissions we should see the list shaping up quite nicely.

Having a continued partnership with TCI is very exciting. After experiencing the rendezvous last year in Atlanta, and after visiting Peter and Patty for the basic tree climbing course earlier this month, I have the utmost respect for what they've created. The strengths of NTS and TCI complement each other very well.

I'll be flying in on Friday, August 1st, and would definitely be up for a trip to Engineer Mountain before the conference.

Matt

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:22 pm

Larry,

Tickets in advance are a good idea, but we will have someone collecting at the door.

Matt,

Great! You'll get to meet BVP, a legend just like Michael Taylor. We just have to break my record for height at altitude. I couldn't have been that lucky to have stumbled on the champ on my first trip to Coal Bank Pass a few years ago.

When we all get together, maybe we can discuss how to make the best use of your extensive effort to create a max list. This could be the big AF-NTS-TCI cooperative project. I know AF wants to keep the door open to participation by other organizations/agencies, but they are going to have to prove themselves to us, not the other way around.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

pattyjenkins1

Post by pattyjenkins1 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:01 am

Hi everybody--

Tickets in hand. Peter and I will be in Durango on Sunday through some time on Thursday. Very excited to meet those I haven't met.

I've been following posts here very closely and thinking alot about them: How to shape TCI's contribution beyond our continuing effort to recruit climbers? Bob and I have had some conversation. I'm really looking forward to your weighing in on my thoughts, hearing what you have to suggest, and to creating structure for moving forward as a team.

See you soon.
patty
Patty Jenkins
Executive Director
Tree Climbers International, Inc.
Get High / Climb Trees

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:56 pm

Patty,

The partnership I hope we can nurture would include American Forests, NTS, TCI, and LTI. Hopefully, we can meet sometime as a group and discuss our individual roles. When we originally established NTS in 1996, we had all the ways we list to celebrate trees in mind. It has all been there from the beginning, but Will Blozan and I, in particular, saw the need for a major push to put truth in the numbers for big tree/tall tree data. I wasn't thinking then of the Internet explosion that we see today, where any bimbo can establishe a website, blog, whatever, and load cyberspace down with junk. And I certainly didn't foresee university-based websites perpetuating the problem. But that is what has happened. So, we need AF now more than ever to be a source of accurate data. But they cannot do it without our help. So, we press ahead.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:16 am

Will, Mark, Matt, Larry,

Sandy Young a local Colorado rancher and outfitter has signed on as a cosponsor of the SWOGF conference. She is offering to take up to 4 people on horseback to the huge stare champion Doug fir in the Hermosa Creek drainage. She needs to cover her costs, so she would be asking for $50 per rider. The trek is 15 miles roundtrip. The altitude varies from around 7,500 feet to a little over 8,000. I'm wondering if the team of Will Blozan, Mark Rouw, Matt Markworth, and Larry Tucei would like to take her up on her offer. If any or all of you would, please let me know and I'll let Sandy know. There would certainly be other trees to discover.

I cannot go because of conference duties, including getting people to the airport on the 6th.

BTW, American Forests is attending and cosponsoring the conference. They are sending Lea Sloan, VP of Communications. So, chalk another one up for us.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:18 pm

Bob- You know I can't resist an offer like this count me in!!!! Larry

Return to “Measurement and Dendromorphometry”